Flaming Gorge NRA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
June 24th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Steinaker ReservoirSteinaker ReservoirSteinaker Reservoir

just north of Vernal, UT
Leaving Vernal heading north the rock formations were beautiful and many had signs saying which period they dated back to. Utah continues to be the "unexpected" state to us; around every turn there is a new surprise. The first was Steinaker Reservoir just north of Vernal. Then the Ashley Valley came into sight with gorgeous colors. The drive up the north side of the valley was steep and full of switchbacks. Ashley NF with stands of Aspen and carpets of wildflowers was a treat. We saw a mule deer grazing and managed to get a picture.
The first sight of Flaming Gorge was stunning and it got better. We went into the visitor center first to get my natl park passport stamped, then walked down to the picnic area by the reservoir. From there northwards the colors of the mountains and valleys changed frequently, from greens to reds to browns, golds and back again.
At Firehole Canyon we fixed lunch and enjoyed the scenery there, taking more pictures.
Now we are at Rock Springs KOA in Rock Springs, WY. The wind came up really strong for a few minutes, then rained for about 45 seconds and was done.
Tomorrow we head north to the Tetons!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Green RiverGreen River
Green River

Flaming Gorge NRA, UT
Flaming Gorge DamFlaming Gorge Dam
Flaming Gorge Dam

Flaming Gorge NRA, UT
Firehole CanyonFirehole Canyon
Firehole Canyon

Flaming Gorge NRA, WY
Firehole CanyonFirehole Canyon
Firehole Canyon

Flaming Gorge NRA, WY


26th June 2008

catch up
just got in from Memphis and couldn't wait to see what vistas you "rockers" have been taking in.Thanks for sharing your senic sights. Any comments from others about accents?? Gonna try some fly fish'n? Looking forward to your next blog.
27th June 2008

Finally got on here to look. Awesome pictures mom!!! Ya'll seem to be having great fun. We love you!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb