NW Colorado to Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
June 23rd 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

NW ColoradoNW ColoradoNW Colorado

Around the Continental Divide
Highway 40 from Kremmling, CO to Vernal, UT was a great road, with beautiful scenery and not a lot of traffic. Once we crossed the Continental Divide at Rabbit Ears Pass, then Rabbit Ears west summit, it was a steep descent into a beautiful valley with lakes, pastures and the Yampa River. Steamboat Springs was pretty, clean and had a back-to-nature look due to lots of trees. It had a definite touristy/resort feel.
West of Steamboat were beautiful ranches in wide valleys, with lots of horses and cattle. The land became more hilly and less mountainous.
We saw lots of wildlife, too. In one pasture we saw horses, cattle and pronghorn antelope all grazing together. In another pasture we watched a red fox pounce on some small creature in the grass as its fluffy tail wagged joyfully. We saw buffalo, mule deer and prairie dogs.
It got drier the further west we came. By the time we reached Vernal, UT, the dark clouds over the mountains to the north were threatening rain while the wind blew clouds of dust across the road. We've set up for the night at Dinosaurland KOA in Vernal, UT.
Tomorrow Flaming
View from Rabbit Ears PassView from Rabbit Ears PassView from Rabbit Ears Pass

Continental divide, el 9426'
Gorge!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

NW ColoradoNW Colorado
NW Colorado

nearing Dinosaur, CO


Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb