Roadtrip SW USA...Snow Canyon Utah


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Roadtrip SW USA...Snow Canyon Utah. No one told us USA had invaded Canada...yet Homeland Security in Toronto made it clear they had...serves us right for avoiding the news while travelling. Lucky I had stopped talking or he would have carried out his threat that I would never enter the USA again. Talk about catching us by surprise. Even so, I couldn't help snapping my disgust...that he had mad... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement







21st March 2015

Welcome to the US of A!
I'll never forget arriving in Seattle from Taipei. Most of the passengers looked like they were going to a Chinese Grandmother convention. One of them attempted to carry a half full bottle of water through the TSA checkpoint. The TSA sprang into action and began screaming at her- in English- to put the bottle down. She obviously didn't understand and looked panicked that she was going to the Gulag. Didn't stop our trusty TSA from continuing to scream and call for backup. I've never been so embarrassed to be an American. I suppose you could have been bringing in terrorist grapes or perhaps Granny was trying to take over the country with a half empty bottle of water, but I think they could change their approach to "welcoming" obvious tourists to America!!!!1
21st March 2015

Welcome to the US of A!
In any other place you chuck out your water, pieces of fruit etc before you enter security scanning machines. But in Toronto the USA guys thought I had already crossed the border notwithstanding I was still in Canada...wouldn't tell me where the bin was. Extraordinary. Where first impressions are often so important I do find the cold welcome somewhat disconcerting. C'est la vie. At least this time they didn't lock me up!!! Enjoy the pics. The coming blogs all in snow!
21st March 2015

The good old U S of A.
A mans gotta know his limitations.
21st March 2015

The good old U S of A.
Good advice Bernie but...I don't know my limitations. Ya see, travel has got me so I feel we can do anything we set our minds to. And let's face it...we can!
21st March 2015
HOMELAND SECURITY

an uneaten grape that could not find a bin, could cost $300 and no entry into US! That grape could as well have been harvested in California! Maybe you can have you grape and eat it too as long you mark Yes on that form! And all this in Toronto airport!
21st March 2015
HOMELAND SECURITY

Can have your grape and eat it too
Do I feel a poem coming on from you Hem? If I hadn't tolerated the TSA abuse maybe I'd have been lamenting "Here I sit broken hearted...didn't throw out my grape...and saw my plane departing!"
21st March 2015

Many of our Homeland Security personnel are an embarrasment to our country...
they get a little power and go power mad. I've heard similar stories from other foreigners, including diplomats. I'm glad that the real Americans made up for it.
22nd March 2015

Many of our Homeland Security personnel are an embarrassment to our country...
'Tis a pity Bob as the real Americans from all walks of life we met were delightful. Hope you like the pics from your SW USA that I present. Your backyard I know but to us sensational.
22nd March 2015

Sorry to laugh.....
.... at the distress of the airport security but it made me howl with laughter at the inept way in which they deal with something so simple as a bin! Note to self - do not let the mammoth take snacks with him when we head that way!
22nd March 2015

Sorry to laugh
Note to self Jo...Don't and I stress don't ask an American where the bin is. Obviously has a different meaning in that part of the world!!!
22nd March 2015

Assholes abound
I'm never sure why they instruct them to be so evil. It makes no sense. I'm sad this rudeness is the way people start off in this wonderful country. Never resist the call of a good tumbleweed. Glad you enjoyed your explorations. You painted wonderful word pictures and we were right there with you absorbing the colors of the canyons. Beautiful. Never leave the car without the gloves!
22nd March 2015

Right there with you absorbing the colors of the canyons
Thinking of you guys MJ and your overwhelming welcome in our blues cruise section of the trip when telling the story of the invasion of Canada...hoping 'twould not make you sad. Yet nothing like a good story I say. Ahh...at last a comment on the colours of the canyons that excited us like little kids finding treasures. The vistas on this roadtrip blew our minds. Hope my pics can do it justice.
23rd March 2015

The Good ol' US of A
As far as I can remember, the US Border Patrol have treated guests to their country this way. Never quite sure what the point is or what they are trying to prove...I am sorry that you and Denise had to go through that...I do hope the rest of America made you smile!
23rd March 2015

The Good ol' US of A
Yep Sean & Erin. We are still smiling about our road trips and the good folk we met. Hope you get your country back!
23rd March 2015

Wow...
... I'm stunned by they ineptitude of the border controls of USA. Makes me think of all the videos of Law Enforcement gunning down people over there. I wonder if Law Enforcements aren't what's most dangerious in that nation... oh well, good pictures at least!
23rd March 2015

Wow
Hi Per-Olof...great to hear from you. We were stunned too. Considering this is my second non-welcoming brush with these guys for no justifiable reason who obviously get off on having power trips and other comments indicating these are not isolated incidents...one has to wonder. But the countryside was stunning...the locals as welcoming as could be...more than compensating for the *** who thought they'd invaded Canada! Keep following...our adventures were amazing!
27th March 2015

I am so ashamed that you experienced this. Sadly, those are the type of people who are often attracted to such positions, but to give some hope, I have met the rare, kind TSA officer, I just hope that the latters numbers start increasing. I also think that it is scenarios like you encountered and the very strict visa process that many countries are starting to do reciprocal visas -- a bit of the golden rule. I’m so glad that you also encountered warmer, welcoming souls the rest of your trip and hope to show you some true American hospitality if you ever come our way!
27th March 2015

Hope to show you some true American hospitality
You are on Michelle. Sorry we couldn't come by you guys this trip. Had entre in KL...very much hoping we can get together for another course.
9th April 2015

The TSA "Welcome"
Well as you can tell I am catching up on some reading at last. What an unpleasant experience! Mostly I've been ok when travelling to the States, but some of those power-mad officials have nothing better to do than torment tourists. When I travelled back to NZ from the Yucatan in Mexico I thought I would break up my journey with a 3-day stay in San Francisco. I had to fly from Cancun via Houston airport and those horrible people grilled me for ages - "why are you going to San Francisco"? "Why such a short trip? It's a long way to go for 3 days". I offered to show them a map to tell them where NZ was and explain the trip but that didn't seem to go down too well! I'm glad it all ended okay for you both, and the hospitality of the real Americans made up for it!
9th April 2015

The TSA "Welcome"
I'm amazed you also have received a callous TSA welcome Rachael. Yet when I got locked up in LAX on my way to Patagonia for putting my boarding pass through the scanner with my passport, I must say the TSA reception as we left Toronto was somewhat less of a surprise!

Tot: 0.638s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 55; qc: 183; dbt: 0.3465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb