moab, oct 10th,2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
October 11th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today, it is Friday oct 10th.
All I can say is we are all miserable and on edge. We miss out wives and family horribly, and can’t imagine why we would plan a trip so long away from home. What were we thinking? Our bed has been made though, so we might as well go riding.
Today we elected to ride the poison spider trail, and then link onto the portal. The portal is touted as a trail that should not be ridden, and should not even be walked upon if you value days to come. In fact at the head of the trail, and with constant reminders from then on, there are signs saying ‘dismount and walk, three riders have been killed on this trail’. We stopped long enough to put on our shin and elbow pads……but I digress….
We arrived at the parking lot at the trail head at around 11:00, and experienced three flats taking the bikes out of the back of the truck. Frustration was expressed, and some of our riders wanted to head back to town to obtain further spare tubes for the intense ride to come. Democracy, or bull headedness prevailed, and we began our climb through steep rock pitches, rock steps and deep sand traps that required lance Armstrong cadences to transverse. Again breath taking views prevailed, with vistas that appeared to be painted on canvas by pure imagination alone. Trail identification was somewhat lacking and at numerous occasions discussions ensued as to the correct path of travel. Extending the ride at this time was less than desirable as desert landscape with no shelter from the sun was not what any of us wanted to extend. It was an aerobic challenge to climb through sand and steep pitches of slick rock, but we were more than rewarded with the views we acquired through our efforts (jeepers this is cheesy).
We had lunch overlooking the mesa perched on cryptobiotic soil, ascertaining our present elevation and admiring the phallic landscapes that surrounded us. We decided to ride on immediately with Salmon touting manly expletives along the trail. We began our rapid descent down the Portal, sneering at each other as to the difficulty of the trail being touted as not rideable and barely walkable. We again came to a sign that stated DISMOUNT NOW! THREE RIDERS HAVE DIED HERE!, and we giggled as they have not experienced cariboo riders previously. Suddenly we were all screaming like school girls and could not focus due to tears of glee. I mean hey, we have ridden max ‘death on the left’ and Jayden. McCreight crashed through no fault of his own. You could barely discern a trail down the cliff face and we have now a new appreciation for ‘death on the left.’ Salmon now owes his existence to Gordon, who with lightening reflexes grabbed Salmon’s rear wheel as he was about to endo into oblivion. Jill, you owe him one. NONE OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WAS THAT FREEKING STUPID TO TRY THAT ROCK DROP……
After leaving the extremely exposed section, the trail turned into a very technical and vigorous single track rock trail. A perpetual grin prevailed throughout our group to the termination of this serendipitous ride.
We again acquired the services of our shuttle vehicle and returned to our abode to reflect on our sun burns and ass chafing (thanks for the visual, Gordon). The beers were flowing as we recounted the day’s events in the warm Moab afternoon. Later in the evening we enjoyed steaks BBQ’ed to perfection by Chef Whitman. Our expectations of Moab have now been satiated.
Till next year.


Advertisement



11th October 2008

Hey, Superman!!!
Hmmm..now, do I owe Scott a thank you for saving Shawn or Shawn a smack in the noggin for...being Shawn OR do I owe Scott a smack in the noggin cause my husband has a HUGE life insurance policy?? No matter, I'm well conditioned to smile, nod and look the other way when it comes to Shawn's obvious disregard for..common sense. I am ,however, glad to have this account in writing cause when this story is retold (oh and it WILL be retold..again and again and..)he will have hung from the edge of the cliff while opening a beer with his teeth and considering which cut of steak he would have for dinner, all the while summoning the strength of 10 men....I won't ruin the end for you. In any case, I assume you recovered Shawn and not just the rear wheel of his bike..you there snookums? Now you tell me, guys, do you REALLY think I had to give him PERMISSION to go?! Kisses (there are many kinds..) to superman..xoxoxo
11th October 2008

forgot to ask..
In the event that it IS the bike and not Shawn you rescued (heaven forbid!), I wonder, Mr. Spider, or Mr. Barking or Mr. B.S. (like how that flowed?)would you be kind enough to appraise what's left of the bike? I've kind of been online shopping since Shawn left and can use the cash...thanks

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb