3 Step Hideaway Utah to Escalante Utah - 305 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Escalante
May 3rd 2016
Published: May 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Started by seeing a bobcat in the wild. At first I thought it was one of the 3 Step dogs or perhaps a coyote, but the lack of tail and that bouncing feline movement left no doubts. A beautiful animal. Then perhaps the best days riding ever. The contrasts in scenery were amazing from towering red sandstone monoliths that iconize Utah to the rushing Colorado River and fertile canyons to gray sandstone that has you thinking you are navigating through a giant ash can to the snow covered peaks of the Boulder mountains. True sensory overload. The only comment that does the scenery justice is that you are coming back as soon as you can to explore further. Turns out it was the only day that Rob, Rik and I would ride together, but it could not have been a better one. Great dinner in Escalante in the Blue Cowboy cafe. We were all high from Nature’s gift before we even had a Utah pale ale. Utah and pale ale seems a bit of an oxymoron somehow.

For the record we retraced our steps from the 3 Step Hideaway back to Route 191 and headed south through Monticello and Blanding and then on to Route 95 west through the Glen Canyon National Park to Hite and on to Hanksville where it was the customary Ruben sandwich. Along the way we met another group of bikers headed our way. After the customary bike exchanges they were off, leaving behind a fine pair of leather gloves. We were able to return them at Hanksville. Bikers do more than wave to each other. From Hanksville it was on to Route 24 to Fruita and then scenic highway 12 to Escalante through the Capitol Reef National Park. The ride of a lifetime.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb