Escalante, Utah to Primm, Nevada - 345 MIles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Primm
May 4th 2016
Published: May 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After an excellent home baked muffin and good coffee at the Escalalnte Outfitters (check out their liquor cabinet), said goodbye to the boys as we each headed our separate ways - Rob back to Tuscon via Death Valley; Rik to points southeast and me towards San Diego. 3 guys with PhD's in science, shared curiosity, similar senses of humor, willingness to be laughed at as well as with and flexible natures - it does not get better which made parting difficult. Knowing we will do it again keeps us all going. Continued along scenic highway 12 going west and while it was picturesque, it was not stunning. With Bryce along the way and the Bryce canyon to the left a number of miles away I would have expected more. Panguitch on Route 89 north was a quaint cowboy like town and then there was a final stretch on Route 20 before hitting 15. After the joys of the last couple of days the Interstate was a drag. Wind was gusty but manageable. The biggest fear was the 80 mph speed limit with trucks comprising not two sections but three traveling at that speed. I was reminded of those multi-segment wooden snakes we had as kids, where when two of three segments went one way the middle one went the other - scary as you pass that middle segment. Finally the stratosphere appeared marking the so-called oasis in the desert Las Vegas. Been to Vegas many times and decided to plough on and find a place off the strip for the night. I settled on Primm a further 20 miles or so south of Vegas on 15. What a bazaar place. Great choices of places to stay Buffalo Bills or Whiskey Pete's. Went for the upmarket Bills at $45/night. I had called ahead and I think the guy thought I had had to much sun - probably true it got up to 95F on some stretches - since when I arrived I could have chosen from hundreds of empty rooms. As I walked the empty casino floors it was like being the only survivor of a neutron bomb that removes the human race while leaving its worst achievements behind. The adjoining mall was no different. Looking at what activities were available - all close Mon-Thur it was clear the place lights up on the weekend. Out of a sense of obligation I lost $5 playing poker.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb