Grand Staircase, Escalante National Monument, Escalante, Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Escalante
October 17th 2018
Published: October 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

From Boulder, Utah (on Utah 12) to the West end of Utah 12 (at the tiny town of Red Canyon City) at the US Hwy 89 junction, is considered the Northern limits of the the Grand Staircase of Escalante National Monument (NPS). The Southern limits is the Colorado River System and the Arizona State line. While the Eastern limits of Grand Staircase is the Escalante River, with the Western limits is US Hwy 89.

This would include the entire Calf Creek Canyon with the Escalante River SE to the Colorado River system at the center of Lake Powell. Also included is the Straight Cliffs of the "50 Mile Mountain", The Kaiparowits Plateau, Kotochrome Basin, the Paria River, and the Paunsaugunt Plateau that is owned and managed by Bryce Canyon N Park and the Dixie N Forest.

While you can clearly see the exposed Southern end of Pink Cliffs, White Cliffs, and the Vermilion Cliffs; there are no signs, on highway or trails, for the Grand Staircase. (Hummmm, I will get back to this.)

My first seven pics are repeats from my Escalante River blog; repeated here cuz that is part of the Grand Staircase.

Then Westbound from Escalante is the Grand Staircase. Up to and including the scenic overlook and East of the little corner of the Dixie N Forest by the Table Cliff Plateau; and Westbound is the Grand Staircase.

Westbound (downhill) to Henrieville; then Cannonville, Tropic, and uphill to Bryce Canyon N Park is all part of the Grand Staircase.

I wanted more information defining the Grand Staircase so I did a google search for Grand Staircase, Escalante, Utah. Once again the best informative hit was through Wikipedia. It appears that Bill Clinton set aside 1,880,461 acres of BLM (Bureau of Land Management) to become The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (NPS). This was to preserve forever the beauty of this large tract of unspoiled land that is unique to the world, and to block the Andalex Coal Mine from despoiling this pristine land.

Somehow this NPS property was handed over to BLM (Part of the US General Land Office) in Kanab, Utah for management. That was a strange development. More disturbing was in 2017 President Trump (by order) reduced this permanent Park about by 47% to only 1,003,863 acres. There is no president for this action.

I called the BLM in Kanab, Utah who was controlling this unique set of geological formations (435-644-1300). The BLM in Kanab does not answer its phone. In spite of my many voicemail with my phone #, the BLM would not call back to this taxpayer. (Hummmm)

Commentary: Maybe the BLM management in Kanab is on a long paid vacation on an expensive golf course with donnie trumpie; trying to put a positive spin on their destruction of this wonderful unique geology, possibly by large scale strip mining for coal?

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

scenic overlookscenic overlook
scenic overlook

Grand Staircase
scenic overlookscenic overlook
scenic overlook

Grand Staircase
scenic overlookscenic overlook
scenic overlook

Grand Staircase
scenic overlookscenic overlook
scenic overlook

Grand Staircase
Blue with a viewBlue with a view
Blue with a view

National Forest Grand Staircase
HenrievilleHenrieville
Henrieville

Grand Staircase
HenrievilleHenrieville
Henrieville

Grand Staircase


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb