Almost Lost Roy! Devils Garden Trail Hike


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Devils Garden Trail, 7.5 miles, most difficult hike in Arches National Park, some areas may involve steep drop offs, difficult climbs and some water crossing. This was the warning on the guide map. We were in need of a good walk and didn’t think much of the distance.



We drove through the park sun shining, to the end of the road and came to the parking area for Devils Garden Trail, there are warning signs encouraging you to take plenty of water, etc. We were prepared, camelbacks full of water, first aid and walking sticks.



The hike started of very easy along a gravel pathway, huge canyon rocks towering around and beautiful views of the rock formations the first arch we came to was impressive, gentle slopes continued up and down and then we came to the first sign to the primitive trail, red sand underfoot, again nothing difficult. There were rock cairns (small piles of stacked rocks) along the way to mark the trail to follow (thankfully). After many magnificent views, about five deer, about 2 miles in and a few small steps onto small rocks and some slight inclines onto smooth rocks we came to the cathedral of views. Looking up at the mammoth formations and light pouring through the thin fin rocks we climbed a little way up and came to the sheer rock face on our left and a handful of people clamoring their way up and down and a couple having a very difficult time.



You could come into the trail from either direction. We were going to be ascending the rock face. I took a minute to consider how I would nimbly ascend. Roy on the other hand was starting up. After Roy’s first slip and “My shoes are slipping,” I suggested we turn around and we didn’t have to attempt this if he wasn’t comfortable. “No of course not!” Well things went from bad to worse and as I am still suggesting he turn around, he couldn’t’. He was officially at the point of no return. I tried to help as we were both now clinging on, shoes slipping, he was falling and nothing to hold onto; I’m considering how anyone is going to come and get him or me if he takes me with him on the way down. Thankfully after a few heart-thumping minutes and some uncontrollable laughter at the situation from me, we were both safely up to the top.



The next rock face came right after, by the time I tried to makeshift a rope with two walking sticks to assist, some very kind men gave Roy a helping hand and we were now climbing in and out and up and down boulders, in between towering glorious red skyscrapers.



I didn’t know Roy was afraid of heights until part of the trail where there is a ledge at the very top of the hike with sheer drops on both sides, canyons down below. A little talking, slow steps and eyes down and he made it. For anyone afraid of heights this is not the hike for you.



The final part of the hike before the easy last mile was a descent of about 200 feet on slick sandy rock, a few expletives and a quick I’m not doing this from Roy and we made it down. You could see the snowcapped mountains in the distance in between the red mega rocks the view was majestic.



The words to describe the views are useless to try and make anyone understand how beautiful this land is here and the photographs cannot capture the vertigo you might feel if you are not good with heights.





We both had too much sun and adrenalin for one day. Let’s hope tomorrow is a little calmer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



28th April 2016
IMG_4097

Incredible
image 4097 looks like Norton Creek removed to where it should be! What a trip!

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb