Moab UT to Page Arizona to Williams AZ


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Moab UT to Page Arizona to Williams AZ


Reception was poor at Lake Powell so here is a few days of catch up on where we are and what we have been up to:

Forecast: rain all day, good day for a drive up to Canyon Lands National Park, Island in the Sky. The 30 mile drive there we were surrounded by canyons and the road took a winding and elevated approach. We saw a few cows and their calves along the way on the open ranges that seem to appear everywhere out here.



Again the photographs cannot bring to the imagination how vast the land thousands of feet below appears to be when you are confronted with it standing on the ledge at the top looking down. I don’t mind heights but there were a couple of spots as I stood out there looking down I felt my eyes go a bit cross eyed J We took a good hike/climb about a mile up to one of the lookouts, which was quite different from the other viewpoints. Supposedly this, as you will see in the photograph, is a crater from a meteor many years ago well there is another theory about salt layers but I like the idea it was a meteor 200 million years ago and there is green sediment within its limits.

There was thunder, rain, sleet, and snow but at every lookout point we stopped out the sun shone over our view and it was spectacular.

Friday, we packed up to leave and head to Page Arizona. We drove through rain, sleet and hail again but it was clear when we came to monument valley. You’ve seen it in movies; it comes right after Valley of the Gods, which is aptly named as a precursor. There are canyons standing like skyscrapers for miles and miles. Iconic rock formations watching over their open lands.

265 miles later we made it to Lake Powell Marina and Rv resort coming across Glen Canyon Dam, just a few miles up the river from Hoover Dam. The lake is more like a quiet ocean sized body of water and another solar system sits all around it.



I don’t have any more words than I feel like I am on another planet, maybe Mars, only possibly more beautiful and I feel tiny.



Rain dampened plans for Antelope Canyon, so perhaps we will make it on the return trip. We took a couple of short hikes, over the weekend, taking a short drive to Grand Staircase Escalante and hiked Toadstools trailhead, which was fun as I felt like we had actually walked onto Mars or the movie set of the Martian!



Monday, we are now headed to Grand Canyon, Williams to be exact. Canyons and red rock formations seem to go on forever and the winding and steep grade roads up and down elevation, back up to 7000 feet always make me hold on to the “oh sh…t” handle, if for no other reason than the sound the engine makes as it revs up to slow down our large load, hoping and praying we never have to use one of those run off lanes!







Made it to the Grand Canyon Railway Rv Park and settled in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb