TEXAS!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
October 22nd 2014
Published: October 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Big Texan Steak RanchThe Big Texan Steak RanchThe Big Texan Steak Ranch

Home of the Famous 72 oz. Steak
We were on the road by 8 am after coffee. We said goodbye to the dogs that were at our door this morning. There is fog everywhere and with the sun coming up it is so pretty. We passed through Checotah- Carrie Underwoods home.

Picked up spinach feta wraps and lattes from Starbucks outside of Oklahoma city- beautiful sunny day. The roads are so bad in Oklahoma, bumpy ride! We ran into rain for about an hour before crossing in to Texas. The grasslands are a deep yellow/orange color …so pretty. Rows and rows of cornfields. This is what I usually fly over.

As we road along I-40 we kept seeing signs for 'The famous 72 oz steak at The Big Texan Steak Ranch' in Amarillo. If you eat the entire steak in 1 hour, it is free....or pay $72. There was a billboard sign about every mile. I said- we have to eat there! So we did. They have a parking area in the back for Truckers and RVs. The place is definitely in great need of a facelift. We have to manuever through a mud puddle obstacle coarse to reach the entrance of the restaurant. Let's hope this is one of those places where the looks do not equal the quality of the food. As you walk in, you smell cigarettes/cigars. There is a huge bar with slot machines, a candy store with everything giant-jaw breakers, suckers, a micro-brewery and a display of the 72 oz steak. We are seated in the dining room, away from the cigarette/cigar smoking by a hostess who I would guess is about 18 years old and she only has a couple teeth when she smiles. The tables are long- they seat around 20. It's only 4pm so we are the only ones at our table, although there are other people dining. The place is old, old and not so nice looking...don't look around, just order and hope it is good! There are stuffed deer, elk, etc. on the walls - about every 6 feet. We both order a Ribeye steak, salad, baked potato. The salad was just ok-iceberg lettuce. The baked potato was typical-good.....and the steak was delicious! I'm glad we made this stop! We continue on I-40 West, through in to New Mexico- it is pouring rain. We are not sure where we will end up tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb