Day 5 - Amarillo, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
May 19th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Inside Inside Inside

Glass everywhere, even behind the second set of seats!
Hi All,

Last night we got into Amarillo, TX. about 10 pm and it took awhile to find the Motel 6 (which ended up being a big mistake). We checked in around 11:30 pm not knowing it was that late because of the time change. This morning at 8:20 am Rylan and I went out to the parking lot to take out the first load to put in the van and Rylan noticed the window on the passenger front was busted out. I went in and called the police and they came out really fast, well there were two other vehicles in the lot that were broken into, and the police were already there. We ended up only losing the Tom Tom Gps and the Garmin Gps holder. Julia was freaking out but Heidi and I calmed her down by letting her know that we still had a car and the window and Tom Tom can be relpaced easily. When she thought that over she was just fine. Anyway the police filled out a report and I called and made arrangements for replacing the glass. We drove down the interstate to the Glass Doctor with glass flying everywhere. Once we got to the Glass Doctor they cleaned up the whole mess and replaced the window for $199. We then went to Walmart and got a new Tom Tom (the thieves were blind as well as dumb), but boy was I lucky!

It was 1:30 pm before we got on the road again. The locals were awfully nice when we were waiting on the window, some people who were at the Glass Doctor drove up while we were walking to breakfast and gave us a ride to the restaurant. We notice in general the people in Amarillo were very kind.

We saw the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere just off I-40 east of Amarillo. About 30 miles out we drove into the most unsusal Rest Area ever, it was based off the old Route 66 from the 30's -40's.

Did you know there are TWO different speed limits in Texas? There is one for daytime and one for night time on the same pole.

The eastern Texas panhandle is beautiful, there are rolling hills with lots of grass land (very green) and lots of livestock grazing.

We stopped in the last town called Shamrock, TX and took pictures of the Conco Station.

We are now in Oklahoma, there are toll roads here, so far we have spent $6.30 in tolls. The landscape is beautiful, it is forested land, rolling hills, open meadows, and lots of water everywhere. Just a thought: How do Tornado's come through here? Cant wait to see what tomorrow brings, minus a broken window. What an adventure!

-Pam


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

PlaquePlaque
Plaque

In the Concrete sidewalk at the rest area.
Snake SignSnake Sign
Snake Sign

At the Rest Area, wow.
Conco StationConco Station
Conco Station

On Route 66
Oil RigOil Rig
Oil Rig

There were quite a few of these as we drove across Oklahoma.
Oklahoma SceneryOklahoma Scenery
Oklahoma Scenery

We saw tons of Forest and Meadows.
Toll RoadToll Road
Toll Road

This road was not crowded, it was nice.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb