Spring Shakedown Continues


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Morning hike to beachMorning hike to beachMorning hike to beach

Trish standing under huge oak with Spanish moss dripping down at Parris Island.
We left the kids and headed to Parris Island to spend a few days on the Marine Base and visiting friends. Well, we wanted to leave, but as Trish was putting away the coffee pot in the drawer, it pulled out and would not go back in. I tried to fix it and found I had to pull out both drawers in the bedroom to be able to reach the underside of the kitchen drawer. Once I got the bedroom drawers out, and fixed the kitchen drawer, I discovered the bedroom drawer slide had broken and needed replaced, else it would not go back in. (It must have "shaken" loose as part of the shake down.) So, off to the local RV store (fortunately very close to Josh) and I purchased a set of slide holders and, as long as I was at it, the clips for the awning. Got back and fixed the slide and then we lowered the awning, replaced the clip that had popped earlier in the week, and we were finally ready to go. (Remember, this is why we do a shake down cruise.)

We got to Parris Island in the early afternoon and the gate
Beaufort, SCBeaufort, SCBeaufort, SC

This was the town where much of the filming of Forrest Gump took place. The town has retained it's charm and ambiance.
guard took one look at the DOD decal on the RV, saluted, and waved us in. Wow! This is why I wanted to retire from DOD. We got to the camp site and found a great spot, level, with water, electric, and sewer. All I had to do was get the key to the padlock on the electric box out of the mailbox in the washhouse (I'd previously been given the combination by phone) and in short order we were set up. We were out away from the mainside of base and yet could hear recruits on the firing range and running obstacle courses in the woods. The bath house was clean and had great showers, so after cleaning up, we called our friends, Darrell and Robby Coleman, and got directions on where to meet them for dinner.

Wednesday we drove around the base in the morning, visited the museum on Parris Island (fascinating and very informative) and followed the recommendation of several folks and went to the golf club house for lunch. After lunch we drove to the Broad River on the edge of the golf course and followed the historic trail where both France and Spain had
Standing at attention for colorsStanding at attention for colorsStanding at attention for colors

We watched the raising of the flag at 0800 and listened to the band and the CG address the parents. Very inspiring, and hopefully, helped the parents understand why their new Marine had changed so much over 13 weeks.
built forts (at different times) in an effort to control the New World. There are historic markers along the trail explaining what was found during archeological digs and it was interesting to learn that there was a connection between the Parris Island settlements and the settlements in Jacksonville and St. Augustine, FL.

Wednesday evening we drove to Hilton Head and met with Nancy (Lease) Williams and her husband, Burrell. Nancy and I graduated from West Geauga High School and had been in musicals, clubs and classes together a few years ago. We had a great meal and then sat and reminisced for several hours. Trish and Burrell yawned, rolled their eyes, and were polite while Nancy and I went down memory lane. (Sorry spouses, we only do this every couple of years.) Burrell is golf pro at a local Hilton Head course and is retiring in a bit, but still had to get up early. Nancy is also still working, so we cut it short and finally left after hugs and promises by Nancy to come and visit us in Alabama sometime after retirement.

Thursday Trish and I drove into Beaufort, SC and decided to shop and look
8 Platoons on Parade Deck 8 Platoons on Parade Deck 8 Platoons on Parade Deck

These young men and women are about to become US Marines. Watching them pass in review, you could see and sense the pride (yes, and fatigue) of their accomplishment.
around. First we stopped at a coffee shop for great coffee and shared a piece of key lime pie. Our waitress was funny and informative. We learned that Beaufort was the scene for much of the filming of Forrest Gump. Yep, even the shrimp boat scenes were filmed in the area. And the chocolate shop (Momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.") was right in the downtown area. There are a lot of nice little shops in Beaufort and it seems to have maintained it's southern charm despite the economy and two Marine bases on either side. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, then headed back to base to clean up and go out with Darrell and Robby again. They picked us up at the campground and we went to a Japanese restaurant that offered 50% off on all sushi on Thursday night. We ate platefuls, along with some gyoza. Wow, we were full. We headed back to camp since Robby had to be up early the next day for work and we were meeting Darrell for morning colors and the graduation of of two platoons of Marine recruits.

Friday morn
Male recruitsMale recruitsMale recruits

Notice the intent posture of the Drill Sergeant out front. He has cared and molded these young men for 13 weeks.
we drove to the HQ building and had coffee with Darrell in his office, met some of the staff, and then went outside for colors and a short address by the Commanding General. Brigadier General Lori Reynolds gave an inspirational talk to parents and visitors on the importance of the Marine Corps and the job the young Marine recruits would be doing to serve and protect the US. She is an excellent speaker and seemed extremely personable, meeting any of the parents who wanted afterward and posing for pictures. Then we walked to the parade deck and got seats for the graduation ceremony. There were about 500-600 young recruits marching in on the deck; 6 platoons of male recruits and 2 platoons of females. There was pomp and circumstance, the Marine Band playing Washington Post March and other tunes and the Marines doing a pass in review. Two memorable moments from the ceremony: The first was the band doing a march off to a rousing Sousa tune then pausing and doing a jazz slow step march past the recruits while playing "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning". (Not sure the recruits would agree, except
Female recruits pass in reviewFemale recruits pass in reviewFemale recruits pass in review

Equally proud and fatigued, these young women endured the same routine and met the same requirements as the men.
for today...graduation.) The other most impressive moment was the shouting of orders: "Right...FACE!" and ALL 600 Marines snapped to the right with a loud snap of fresh trouser pleats and a loud click of heels as they came to Attention. Wow, you could hear it all across the parade deck. At the conclusion of the ceremony, all recruits were dismissed and as they did one step back and about face, their families and friends rushed the parade deck to reunite and hug the newly anointed United States Marines. It was extremely emotional for all.

Friday evening we went to Darrell and Robby's and chatted for a bit then headed into Beaufort for dinner. We wanted to try the shrimp and cheese grits at a local restaurant and boy, were they good. Afterward we looked at a local market, spent some time at Coleman's house, then headed back to the campground since we were leaving early the next morning for Georgia and a visit with a niece. What a great visit, though short, with our friends in Hilton Head and Parris Island and we certainly hope to get back and spend more time in the Low-country of South Carolina.
Parents rushing to greet their US MarineParents rushing to greet their US MarineParents rushing to greet their US Marine

When the ceremony was over, it was pandemonium in the stands as weeping mothers and (some) fathers rushed to greet their Marine.

We took back roads through South Carolina around Augusta and Athens to Maysville to see Joyce and Dale. We attended their wedding in 1978 and have seen them a few times since, but this was our first chance to see their homestead/small farm in northeast GA. We pulled in the drive and Trish was very excited to see the pasture with 9 goats.

We had a great chance to catch up some with Joyce as she had just returned from visiting her parents in TN and we were anxious to hear how they were doing. We also had a tour of their house and property then got cleaned up and headed back into town for a barbecue spot and some really good pulled pork and pulled chicken. We enjoy comparing various types and flavors of barbcue and have had several opportunities this trip to sample different styles. We were tired so caught some sleep and the next day had fun on the farm with the goats. Dale and Joyce had to trim the hooves so we "helped" as best we could, mostly by staying out of the way. Trish used to put our goats in a milking stand, give
Recruits on early morning runRecruits on early morning runRecruits on early morning run

The recruits passed the campground in the early morning, some clearly in shape and others being pushed, badgered and yelled at by the DIs. We judged the group to be in about their 3rd week as they were not stretching out and some were clearly struggling still to gain the stamina required to complete 13 grueling weeks.
them a little grain and then trim the hoof. But we only had 2 and our goats were milkers; Joyce and Dale have 9 goats and they are meat goats, so getting in a milking stand was not in the offing. However, they have a treatment table that is like a press; once the goat gets in the chute, they can electronically close, or squeeze the walls to hold the goat, then raise and tilt the table for easy treatment. It was a new and fun experience for us.

That evening Joyce made some wonderful lasgana and we sat and chatted a bit more before heading to bed. Both of them had to get up and leave by 6:30 for work in the Atlanta area, anywhere from 35-60 minutes away. We got up the next morning and left later, about 0900, to (hopefully) avoid Atlanta rush hours traffic. We were successful, but the 7 and 8 lanes in each direction was unnerving. I had Trish drive out from Joyce's, planning to stop at a rest stop before we got close to Atlanta and then I would drive. Opps, the rest area was closed and there was no where else
Dale getting hay for the goatsDale getting hay for the goatsDale getting hay for the goats

Dale and Joyce's mini farm of goats, blueberries and grapes needs constant attention. Just feeding the goats takes 2 people, as you can't leave the gate open to drive the tractor in. It is a lot of work.
to stop. So Trish drove the expressways around the city. I owe her big time.

We got home in about 4 1/2 hours and unpacked the food and clothes. We were exhausted from the trip and the stress of the big city driving. The hot tub felt really good that night. The next day we would see about getting the RV in to North Alabama RV in Rainsville and have them check out the TV hookup and see if we had fried the TV, a switcher box, or just the VCR. In any event, it was a successful, fun and good Spring shakedown cruise. We are now ready for some "serious" travel and camping. Stay tuned for our next mis-adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Dale and Joyce trimming goat hoovesDale and Joyce trimming goat hooves
Dale and Joyce trimming goat hooves

Goats have to have the hooves trimmed regularly. So Joyce coaxes (or drags) a goat to the trimming table, the table is turned on the side and raised and then Dale can easily trim each hoof.
John trying to catch errant goatJohn trying to catch errant goat
John trying to catch errant goat

Two of the goats were too wise to be caught. So John took an empty bucket and tried to get the goat to come close. Note the one who is far off; still too wise to be caught. Or maybe he knew the bucket was really empty.


Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb