Return to New England, Pt 1


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Garden finished!Garden finished!Garden finished!

Lots of weeding, rotortilling, soil prepping and planting. Finally have the raised bed set to water, tend and then harvest the veggies.
Normally I try to keep up with our trips as we go. However, shortly after starting out, my laptop developed a problem and the screen went blank. I was left to rely on local libraries as we traveled but they often had a 30 minute time limit--just long enough to check bank account and email. So we are catching up slowly and after the fact. But the blog will be in chronological order.

After our spring shakedown, it was time to saddle up and head north to New England. We used to live in New Hampshire from 1973-1979 while John taught high school there and while Trish and the kids had been back in the summer of 83 and 84 to work on the house we still owned (and rented out), John had not been back except for long weekend one of the summers. So this would be a trip down memory lane. Also, Franklin High School was having a reunion of the class of 1977 (with many others attending) and we were invited to attend. So early on the 23rd, we headed out and off to New England (with stops along the way.)

We had spent the previous
Kim at Purple IrisKim at Purple IrisKim at Purple Iris

This is where Kim plans to get married next year. She will come from a large stone house, down these steps to the garden. Beautiful site.
week prepping the coach and dealing with 3 puppies that had "adopted" us. We finally found them homes and so could leave with clear conscious. But we were tired so pulled a RON (Remain Over Night) at a Walmart in Salem, VA. Next day we got to Kim's and set up and then, stern task mistress that she is (inherited from her mother, no doubt), we checked the "to-do" list and got started. Kim had recently had ALL the plumbing in her 100+ year old home replaced and that meant ceiling replaced in living room, bathroom askew, and boxes and furniture moved. She wanted a good cleaning, the baseboards repainted, rugs sent to a cleaners, etc. Then there was the outside list: mow, how, till, plant. Kris was recovering from skin surgery and recent removal of some drains. He had trouble lifting his arms, so we pitched in to help. Mother and daughter took the rugs to the cleaners, I mowed, Kris helped me get stuff set up, and we began the long process of getting things in order. Biggest problem was that temperatures where in the mid-90s and so we took frequent water breaks and pauses to stay healthy.
Mother and daughter at Purple IrisMother and daughter at Purple IrisMother and daughter at Purple Iris

This is the shady area where Kim will have the actual ceremony. Guest should also be in the shade in a lovely setting.


Out in the coach, it got even hotter. We were plugged into a 20amp circuit coming out of a light on the back porch. With all the electrics shut off in the coach, we thought we could run the A/C without a problem, but it kept popping. I finally checked and realized the plug was faulty, about to pull out of the light socket, so we shut it off, and I went to Lowes and got heavy cable, new outlet box for outside, waterproof cover, and good plug. With a little work, kids now have a good, solid plug on the porch that is wired to the outside light so it won't be on all the time, but is available for use when needed. We replugged the coach into that and it helped....some. Then we discovered all the computer equipment in the backroom is also on that line. So poor Kris could not use computer if we wanted A/C. We worked around that and managed to keep cool during the day while Kris could compute in the evening.

Back to work in the house: Trish pulled out old caulk on the baseboard, redid with the proper material, and
Sandlot baseballSandlot baseballSandlot baseball

This is the spirit of baseball; the way I played as a kid. It was pick-up ball in a backyard, running home when mother hollered "dinner" or time to come in.
finally painted the baseboard. I mowed the lawn, pulled vines and weeds from the fence line, hauled greens to the composting area, and got the yard prepped. With the inside under control, Trish and Kim came out and pulled weeds from the garden, and in the process Trish "rescued" four large clumps of wild violets, which we would carry with us to eventually plant in Alabama. Kim had borrowed a rotor tiller and I did the front flower beds and then the garden in back. She had some topsoil to mix in, but decided she needed more so off we went to Lowes for more topsoil, sand and gravel to mix in various places.

We took a break to go to Sweet Frogs one evening. This was a shop in the nearby mall that all the rest had been to (including Trish on an earlier trip to WV) but was my first foray. Sweet Frogs is a frozen yogurt shop with lots of choices in yogurt flavors and a topping bar with fresh fruits, sprinkles, candy, and mochi. They have whipped cream, chocolate sauce and all kinds of goodies for the sweet tooth and when all finished assembling, you
Ted WilliamsTed WilliamsTed Williams

One of the purest hitters in baseball. This is a TOTALLY wooden carving--no material at all. Look at the wrinkles in the sleeve, the lines on the face. It was said this is ALL out of one piece of wood.
pay by the ounce. Our son tells us that most yogurt shops are like this now, but it was new to us. Guess they haven't reached rural Alabama yet. A return trip, or a visit to a different frozen yogurt shop, is definitely in order!

One of Kim's co-workers, and a very good friend, has her parents living nearby. Her mom is a barber and she came to the house and cut Trish's hair. We had a great chat, as they used to live in New England also. She told us lobster at the docks is still available and is about $5. Now our mouths were watering. Another night Kris's friend Jason came over and he and Kris grilled some awesome steak and chicken. Kris had tenderized the steak and marinated with beer. Tender, sweet, done to perfection. Corn on the cob, chicken, corn....what a great meal. But, back to work the next day.

Kim's bestest friend Jen had bought a grill to surprise her husband. Frank was out of town for a couple of weeks and Jen needed help putting the grill together. (Jen is NOT mechanical.) So we went over to her place, and in under
Al KalineAl KalineAl Kaline

Right fielder for the Tigers. Every kid in Detroit wanted to be like him. I wanted to play right field to be just like him. (Also because I had a lousy arm and few hit came to right...lol)
90 minutes had the grill assembled and on the back patio. Instruction sheet said it could be done in 45 minutes, but we thought we did pretty well. No beer till it was done. We left and took a post hole digger back with us. (Obviously, more work for Daddy.)

Next day I dug a new post hole for the wonderful blackberry bushes Kim has in the backyard and after the hole was in (sand and gravel being used some to stabilize the post) and letting it set, Kris could help put in the wires and secure the posts and lines to the blackberries could thrive and be harvested later in summer. Then it started to rain. It poured. And all outside work was over. We helped straighten up inside a bit but mostly relaxed and just had fun chatting. We had the garden rotortilled and set, plants were in, front beds done, weeds and vines pulled and the house and yard were looking great. We were truly glad to help and work with the kids on this. (Hey, we had helped Josh in the spring with his chicken coop; seems only fair to help Kim.)

The next
George KellGeorge KellGeorge Kell

In addition to being an excellent 3rd baseman, I remember him as the broadcaster for the Detroit Tigers in the late 50s/early 60s. I would fall asleep listening to Tiger games. I wanted to be a sportscaster just like him.
day was clear and bright. Kim took us to the Purple Iris, a wedding venue she had selected for her May wedding next year. There is a large stone house with lovely grounds, outdoor reception area as well as inside reception/dining, gardens, and lots of flowers, trees, and plantings. It will be a beautiful spot for a beautiful bride. She did a great job in selecting the perfect place for the wedding.

After almost a week with Kim, we headed off to New England. We wanted to visit family and friends in Vermont, but because of some of their previous plans, we needed to slow down a bit so as to not conflict with their schedules. No problem!! That gave me the opportunity to stop in Cooperstown, NY and go to the Baseball Museum and Hall of Fame.

I wanted a campground close to Cooperstown and the closest was a Yogi Bear Jellystone Park. Yuck! Yogi and Boo-Boo visiting the campsite, lots of kids, pandemonium; not our idea of peaceful camping. But....it was still off season and they offered sites at half price. Being a cheapskate, I took it. The road in (according to Garmin) was narrow, twisting, and took us through beautiful farm land and villages from the interstate up into Cooperstown area. The campground was practically empty, only a few rigs in, and actually quite nice. We had a view of the lake, excellent connections, and a short walk to the bathhouse. It was quiet, peaceful, and an excellent place to relax. (That was important for Trish, since she had decided to NOT go to the museum and stay in camp and read, walk and nap...not necessarily in that order.)

I drove to Cooperstown the next day and the day didn't start off well. I found the parking lot and it was $10 for the day. I parked the car, went to pay and get a ticket at the automated machine, and in the 10 minutes it took me to figure out the machine and get a ticket, a policeman had issued me a parking ticket. I ripped it off the car, took it to him (he was 2 cars down from mine) and gave him a Marine Corps dressing down (having been the recipient of several from a previous boss and having heard many from Gunnery Sergeants.) OK, no ticket; on to the museum. Day got better when I showed my retired DOD/Civilian Marine ID and they said, "No charge, sir."

The opening video of baseball was super and wandering through the museum was fun. But I was a bit disappointed that it was mostly collections of "things"; a bat from one player, and glove from another, a set of spikes from a third. They were collected in relative "eras" so stuff from A-Rod was not in with stuff from Mickey Mantle. But there was no compelling story of the game and how it developed and changed. I was gratified to see several items from Pete Rose with a note that he had been banned from baseball for his gambling. OK, then I guess it's all right to also have the bats/balls of some of the heavy hitters who admittedly or allegedly used performance enhancing drugs. They are not IN the hall of fame but are in the museum of baseball. Hmmm, tough issues to consider. It was fun, there were quizzes and very old films to view and it was educational. But I kept feeling the museum wasn't "selling" the sport or telling why it continues to excite and be popular. There were exhibits on Ruth, the Negro leagues, the Women's leagues during WWII, and Hank Aaron that told stories. Those were better organized.

In the afternoon I got to the actual Hall of Fame and saw the plaques of players I grew up with. I also went through the broadcasters wing and saw the stories of broadcasters who made the game come alive. (But no reference to "Dutch", Ronald Regan, who did play by play from wire service reports.) I left the Hall glad I had come, and equally glad Trish had decided not to come. I'd like to come back someday and visit the other museums in the area and enjoy some of the rest of what the Finger Lakes has to offer.

After our stay with Yogi, it was time to pack up and head towards Vermont. We considered a short stay at Saratoga Springs, but decided it did not have the type of spa we would like and so opted to head to Crown Point, NY and the Revolutionary War history.

Advertisement



17th June 2012

Ur Trip...
Awww, Kim looks soooo cute... give her hugs for me....glad you two are having a great time.... see you at the end of the month...love & hugs

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb