Spring Break 2016


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday March 29,2016

=================

Today awoke up in the town of North Charleston and had a good night sleep. Had breakfast,showered and got my bag ready for the day ahead. We assembled our other bags and things and checked out of our hotel as well. Jumped back into the car and drove towards a suburb of Charleston,SC - Mt.Pleasant which was a very sweet town. Looked in two Antique stores in and around that area,which was wonderful, before heading back to Charlestown,SC. Once we were in Charlestown again, walked to a few historic buildings and museums. First-Went to the oldest historic building in Charleston,SC- "The Powder Magazine" which was awesome,fun and I learned many things about Colonial Military. This house stored black gun powder between 1713-1820 and helped South Carolina from a variety of threats during that time period. Second-"The Slave Mart" which was very moving,amazing and incredible! I also learned a lot from the exhibits and it's moving history of the slaves. Third- Walked to the " Old Exchange Building & Provost Dungeon" which was rich in history about what happened in that building between 1771-1861. It began it's life as the "New Exchange and Custom house back in 1771 then in 1773, British tea seized and is stored in the cellar. 1774- South Carolina elects delegates to the 1st Continental Congress. 1791- President George Washington visits the Exchange several times during his tour of the South. The Dungeon was a bit creepy but the tour guide helped to imagine being imprisoned in this place, back in the 1770's.

After the historical places that we visited, walked to the Market and ate some lunch which was great. Later we re-visited two separate places that we had seen the night before- "Rainbow Row and The Battery"(Waterfront) which were both wonderful places to see the difference between the day&night. We also walked and visited several Churches and Cemeteries throughout the beautiful and historic City. Goodbye "Charleston,SC" !! Good-Night Folks!! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb