Spring Break 2016


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
March 30th 2016
Published: April 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday March 30,2016

=====================

Slowly got out of bed,showered and had breakfast this morning in Walterboro,SC. Around 9:15 am, got into the car and checked out of the hotel and I put my bag together for the day. Arrived in Savannah,GA around 10:30 am and walked into the Visitor's Center. Found out that there was Fort and Battlefield nearby which we were able to walk to from the center. The Battlefield- Memorial for the hundreds who fought and died for freedom on October 9,1779 in Savannah,GA. 8,000 troops of three armies fought during the Revolutionary War Battle of Savannah. 2,500 British troops faced 5,500 French and American troops- Soldiers from Haiti,Germany,Scotland,Ireland,Sweden and Poland took part in the fighting. It remained part of Britain for many more years, after the war in Savannah. After learning about the battle, walked to the first of three historic houses in downtown Savannah. 1) Arrived at : Harper-Fowlkes House which is near Whitaker Street and Orleans Square,on Barnard St. The house is wonderful,amazing and has a cool garden! Found out that Robert Redford filmed his movie: The Conspirator" at this particular house which was like so awesome!! 😊 Wow! Alida Harper-Fowlkes bought the house for $9,000 - who was a very intelligent and smart lady back in 1939. Afterwards, walked through a cemetery and a church before getting to the Andrew Low House. First Girl Scouts Headquarters in the USA and soon realized that this fellow was a great and patient man, even back then to help his wife. Neat and unique house as well! Furniture and garden- very nice! The last house that we stopped by was Isaiah Davenport House which was rich in history. The tour guide helped us to understand who this amazing and well rounded gentleman was and how he helped the city of Savannah,GA. We also walked through several "Squares" throughout the city like Chippewa which happens to have the bench scene from"Forest Gump ". Ogelthorpe Square was named after a famous General and who helped build this wonderful southern city. Finally- walked along River Street and the Waterfront which was bustling with crowds of people and music in the background. Calming and tranquil area!! 😊 Goodbye to Savannah,GA- You Rock!! Amazing,Historical and wonderful City! Can't wait to return with others and have another adventure! Goodnight!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb