Log 9 -- Algonquin Logging Museum


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We're back in the States as of yesterday morning. We went through customs (no problem, and they didn't even ask if we were transporting cats) and then went straight to Boldt Castle in the 1000 Islands area of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Photos to follow. Today we toured Steamtown, a National Historic Park in Scranton (photos to follow) and now we're spending the night in Bob's sister's driveway near Reading, PA. -- in our camper, of course. In the meantime, a couple of comments.******************************
We very much like the way Canadians' behave, at least from what we've seen. They seem easy going and practical and matter of fact, taking life as it comes. No dramatics, no one talking on cell phones in restaurants, no loud voices or shrill laughter. But then we haven't been to a Canadian hockey game. ************************************************************************************
After spending time with busloads of Asian tourists at various sites the past couple of weeks, we found out that their favorite photo subject is . . . themselves. In the midst of the most gorgeous scenery, they line up and take photos of their family or group. Then they pass the camera around so they can all see the digital image and laugh a lot. After that they line up in a different order and take another picture. And on it goes. I would imagine that some of the folks back home would like to see a little of the scenery, more than what they can see over their tourist friends' heads. But then, maybe not. *********************
The photos I'm sending were taken at the Algonquin Logging Museum several days ago. Also, there are a couple of photos of embroidery with watercolor backgrounds, for those of you interested in needlework, that were hanging at the Algonquin Art Museum. They're quite beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

double bunks & cooking areadouble bunks & cooking area
double bunks & cooking area

The loggers would sleep two to a bunk, never removing their clothes until spring. I guess they would take off their shoes to sleep. Good thing there was a lot of fresh air circulating..
square cut logssquare cut logs
square cut logs

Logs would be square cut on site as they could then be stacked more efficiently.
alligator tugalligator tug
alligator tug

These alligators could be pulled on land and a paddle wheel would move them on water. They would be pulled by wench and cable over the land between bodies of water.
RIP for Emile HuardRIP for Emile Huard
RIP for Emile Huard

When a logger would die, often by drowning, his body would be buried along the route with his boots nailed to a tree nearby. Considering that they didn't wash their feet till spring, the smell of the boots probably kept the critters away from the grave.
Algonquin Art Center embroideryAlgonquin Art Center embroidery
Algonquin Art Center embroidery

These two creations are mostly embroidery with a watercolor background.


Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb