Salt Lake City to the Oregon Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Seaside
August 11th 2010
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nesting SeabirdsNesting SeabirdsNesting Seabirds

Cormorants, oystercatchers and gillemots
We coninued North through Salt Lake City and spent the 4th of July in a little Mormon town. Fortunately for us, we brought the makings for Happy Hour with us. To our surprise friends Cheryl and Allen were also there to share the holiday. While there we made a day trip to the Transcontinental railroad East/West connection at the Golden Spike. It would have never happened without the help of the Mormons.

We left there and followed the Columbia River Gorge West to the Oregon Coast. This was a windy drive and it was all Tom could do to keep our new rig in our lane and on the road. We go to the Holiday Rambler factory next week and expect to get the squirrely steering fixed.

The Pacific coastline is spectacular, albeit foggy. I won't complain about the "High of 68 and low of 52" temperatures since most of the country is having a heat wave. It is so different from the Atlantic coast. You'll not find people swimming here but we have concluded that Oregonians are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. We met Anne and Dennis, who are orchard farmers. To our delight they shared their cherries with us.
The Tillamook Cheese Factory tour was wonderful (included their ice cream.) So I've added 4 pounds to my waistline! We walk the beach from Whalers Rest TT campground every morning. There are so many new breathless sights and situations to experience. Not the least is the windy drive down cliffside Route 101 in the motorhome.

With every new sight I thank my friends at Continental Tire for the wonderful camera they gave me when I retired. It is so fantastic to capture these memories....and share them with ya'll!

Our Verizon phones and internet connection don't work very well here. Next purchase will be a phone booster. Fortunately the Thousand Trails campgrounds all have wifi. We'll continue down the Oregon coast through Labor Day. We're out of touch, but ya'll are in our hearts and on our minds. Stay well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

East meets WestEast meets West
East meets West

Transcontinental railroad
Elk at Paradise Cove IslandElk at Paradise Cove Island
Elk at Paradise Cove Island

View from our campsite
Oregon CoastOregon Coast
Oregon Coast

Whalers Rest beachwalk
Newport BeachNewport Beach
Newport Beach

Bridge high enough for big ships to pass thru'


14th August 2010

looks familiar
Glad you are enjoying the coast; it's great to see the pics of places we've been to and enjoyed. Yes, you have the best temps. We can't stand this heat; 100 today with a higher heat index. Actually I felt chilly this morning when I went out- probably only in the 80s. We leave Monday so we're hoping for cooler weather somewhere. Safe travels. Sandy
16th August 2010

Great Pics
Karen, and Tom, Thank you for contiuing to share your wonderful oddesy. I really enjoy all of the pics and conmmentary. What a great way to see the USA... Tale care.
16th August 2010

Great Photos!
Thanks for sharing your experiences & pics. Glad you're enjoying your travels along the Oregon coast. Look forward to your updates. Had any pickleball opportunities? I got to play w/Ellen Dyer (comes to Whitney for the winter) up in Lyons, CO, the week before last. She's organized a group that gets together for games 2-3 times a week. It felt good, but I was a little sore afterwards, since it had been a few months.
27th August 2010

Great summer
Looks like you had a terrific summer. Will you be heading back to Verde Valley this fall? We'll be there in October. Spent the summer in Snowflower. Ed taught lots of people pickleball.

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb