Day 5 - Train to Portland, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
July 25th 2014
Published: July 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Union Station SeattleUnion Station SeattleUnion Station Seattle

King Station right next to the Stadiums
We took the Amtrak Coast Starlight train from Seattle to Portland, OR today. This train goes from Vancouver, B.C. to California which includes bi-level coaches and sleeping cars if you are making the journey to CA. Travel speeds are slow compared to the Northeast Corridor. The scenery along the coast was beautiful and we crossed over the Columbia River along the way. Both Union Stations were quite pretty and very clean as compared to what we are used to on the East Coast. We've not been to Portland before and we were pleasantly surprised at the vibrance of the town. We took one of those hop on hop off trolleys for a 2 hour tour of the town, the expansive parks, and the waterfront area where there was a Brewfest event. On the way back to Seattle we took the Amtrak Cascade - a beautiful new train set that is more reminiscent of a European train with new technology and much better seating arrangements. Full day and all were exhausted by the time we arrived in Seattle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Union Station SeattleUnion Station Seattle
Union Station Seattle

Interior of the station.
Pioneer CourthousePioneer Courthouse
Pioneer Courthouse

In the center of Portland, OR with a square across the street. We got to see a protest in progress just before we left for the train station.
Statue of SacagaweaStatue of Sacagawea
Statue of Sacagawea

One of the tributes to the Lewis and Clark Expedition in Washington Park.
Washington ParkWashington Park
Washington Park

This is a restored train that was used in the logging industry to haul timber.
Nickle Plate EngineNickle Plate Engine
Nickle Plate Engine

Just sitting in a yard area along the river.
CedarsCedars
Cedars

There were a few very old cedars near Washington Park.
Downtown PortlandDowntown Portland
Downtown Portland

Funny sign we passed at a restaurant. "May the Forest be With You" and on the other side it says "Boozy Snowcones Long Live Summer."
Downtown ElkDowntown Elk
Downtown Elk

This statue was constructed so that horses could drink from the lower fountain areas and people could drink from the upper areas. Source is the river and our guide said she wouldn' recommend that today.
Union Station PortlandUnion Station Portland
Union Station Portland

Reminds us of the station in Pueblo, CO. Great architecture.
Union Station PortlandUnion Station Portland
Union Station Portland

Interior view of the station.
Cascades TechnologyCascades Technology
Cascades Technology

This is the screen at the end of each car showing the route taken by the train.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb