NYC, Taxis, and Cool Art


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 19th 2007
Published: July 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early to get to the club in the East village by 2pm for load-in. Remarkably the drive in wasn't that bad and we were fortunate to find parking right in front of the doors without driving around forever.
After parking we found out that they had moved load-in back to 6pm so we kept feeding the meter until 10pm. The meter time and the real time didn't sync. For 1 hours worth of coins we got about 50 minutes. All in all it only cost about $16 for our excellent parking spot. Everyone killed the time by going into shops and getting things to eat and drink. The stage crew showed up at around three and so we loaded in with them. It took a couple of hours to build the stage and get the PA running so we sat around and talked to Sam Rosenthal from Projekt Records/Black Tape for a Blue Girl. The promoter gave the bands a buy out for our meals which anywhere else is kind of lame but in NYC there are so many places to eat that it made it kind of nice with a restaurant every 30 feet. After soundcheck we all went our seperate ways to get food. Brian and I opted for a corner pizza place that had pizza by the slice. The show went well and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I personally thought the PA was too loud but no one was complaining so maybe I'm just getting old. As we loaded out the street filled with little armies of yellow taxi cabs.

The place we were staying for the night was the apartment of one of the DJ's. It was a live/work space with his paintings lining the walls. Huge canvases lined the hallways and the living room. One in particular was used for an album cover for The Legendary Pink Dots. Edward and I stayed the night in the bus while the others crashed in Pieter's apartment. I think it was about 4:30am when the majority of us went to sleep. In the morning Pieter made us coffee and we chated for awhile before leaving to meet Sam for breakfast and starting out for Providence RI. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to take in any of the sights. I could see the top of the Empire State building but that was about it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



20th July 2007

from From a volcano in Costa Rica
Well I have not located any parking meters down here but the views and the weather have been great. Hope the tour goes well..... Olaf

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb