Grand Central Terminal


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 11th 2023
Published: September 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Midtown Manhattan's legendary train terminal is not only one of the most-frequented landmarks of NYC, but also a cultural hotspot of sorts. With close to a hundred eateries and retail stores in its precincts, this 20th-century terminal ensures visitors always have something to do apart from catching their next train. Exhibitions, holiday fairs, the celebrated Grand Central food market, bars, restaurants, shops, and the spectacular view of the terminal's central hall await travelers who stroll into the terminal. From their website:
This historic world-famous landmark in Midtown Manhattan is not simply a transportation hub — it’s also a shopping, dining, and cultural destination all under one magnificent roof. Opened to the public in February 1913, Grand Central Terminal is a story of great engineering, survival, and rebirth. In 1978, architect Philip Johnson and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis campaigned to secure landmark status for the Terminal, ensuring the building would serve New Yorkers for generations to come.

Grand Central Terminal is one of the country’s great architectural achievements and New York City’s unofficial meeting place with thousands of people choosing to “meet me at the clock” –rendezvousing with friends and loved ones each day at the opal-faced Main Concourse Information Booth Clock. Hailed as a temple to the everyday commuter, this cathedral-like building was constructed to honor you, its visitors.

New York City and its railroads weren’t shy. They were eager to proclaim their magnificence with a splendid monument—a fitting gateway to the nation’s exuberant financial, commercial, and cultural capital. Yet Grand Central Terminal was more than just a pretty façade. Behind its lofty arches and elegant marble is a marvel of practical design and innovative engineering. The station not only looked like no other, it functioned like no other, merging elegance with efficiency.


It seems every trip here involves starting or ending up here. So, why am I here if I flew into NYC? To have oysters at the Grand Central Oyster Bar.

From their website: The oldest restaurant in Grand Central, this landmark has one of the largest and freshest seafood menus in the city. Here, you’ll find 25 types of fish and up to 30 varieties of oysters, along with other seafood specialties, including the world-famous pan roast. All of this is matched with an award-winning wine list featuring 80 selections by the glass. Open Monday thru Friday for lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. Come on in. The seafood’s fine.

I plan to have a dozen, with a glass or two of champagne.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb