More NYC Eats


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 12th 2023
Published: September 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

From TravelAwaits:

Anyone who’s been or dreams of going to the Big Apple is probably after at least one New York-style slice. New Yorkers Sue Davies and Regina Ang recommend the jumbo slices from Koronet in Manhattan and say “You can’t go wrong on Arthur Avenue” — aka Little Italy — in the Bronx. I had the best pizza of my life (served alongside a double-shot) at San Matteo Pizza & Espresso Bar on 2nd Avenue in Manhattan across the street from quaint Rupert Park.

Of course, New York’s delis are just as famous as its pizza joints. You’ve probably heard of Katz’s, and if you’re up for the line, go for it. Davies and Ang also recommend Baz Bagels in Manhattan’s Little Italy for “traditional Jewish food — bagels and cream cheese, smoked fish, matzoh ball soup, potato latkes, and blintzes — with an LGBTQ twist.” Yes, this is the place where you can get your rainbow bagel. For an all-vegan menu, I can personally recommend Orchard Grocer, also in Manhattan.

Want More NYC Eats? Davies and Ang point readers to Le Colonial for Vietnamese fine dining and recommend these five amazing food tours to experience in and around New York City. Gramercy Tavern in the city’s Flatiron District also made our readers’ list of favorite splurge-worthy restaurants in 2023.
Did you know? There’s something ironic about food that’s named after a place but was created somewhere completely different. Take English muffins as an example – they were actually invented in New York by Samuel Thomas, an English baker who had moved to the Big Apple to open a bakery. He was trying to recreate English crumpets but ended up inventing English muffins instead. Their popularity soared with the creation of eggs Benedict (another classic New York dish).
Now a country-wide chain, Nathan's Famous had humble beginnings. Set up in 1916 by Polish immigrant Nathan Handwerker, it is now one of the most popular and famous places on the New York City food map. It gets glowing reviews for its friendly staff, fast service and mind-blowing hot dogs. We think it's best to keep it simple with mustard and a pickle.

Brooklyn’s signature dog actually has its roots in the communities of the Greek and Macedonian immigrants who entered the US through Ellis Island in the early 1900s before moving elsewhere – explaining why states as diverse as Michigan, Ohio, and Oklahoma all have their own version of the Coney. The dog itself is generally a beef sausage topped with a rich meat sauce, yellow mustard, and white onions, and Nathan's Famous has been slinging its world-renowned take on the classic since 1916, when Polish immigrant Nathan Handwerker started a nickel hot dog stand on Coney Island.

Over the years, new places have opened. And while I am like the rest of you, and want to try the new places, I also love the old places. I love the old-fashioned New York places, like Sardi's, Mama Leone's, Katz's, Nathan's, P.J. Clarke's, Grand Central Oyster Bar, and Peter Lugar's.
Built in 1719, Fraunces Tavern has been the meeting place of the pre-Revolution secret society the Sons of Liberty, the foundation spot of the New York Chamber of Commerce, and where General George Washington bid farewell to his troops. Today, customers can enjoy a beer and buttery chicken pot pie, as well as a wander through the informative museum housed upstairs.

When Keens Steakhouse opened in 1885, it was a hot spot for patrons of the nearby Garrick Theatre – and it's said the actors even dropped by in between acts. In 1905, it was taken to court by actress Lillie Langtry for not allowing women in. After she won the case, its famous mutton chop could finally be enjoyed by all.

Lombardi's has quite a claim to fame: it was America's first pizzeria, opened in Little Italy, New York, back in 1905. Sure, there are newer, shinier places to eat a pie (or two) these days, but it's hard to beat the old-fashioned charm and blistered-crust pizzas here. The Original Margherita – fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce, topped with fresh basil – is pretty exceptional.

A mainstay of the classic New York burger with fries, Corner Bistro has been serving perfectly flipped patties and crispy fries at the same West Village location since 1961. The famously short menu includes a handful of burgers, a chicken sandwich, a grilled cheese, a BLT, and a bowl of chili. The Bistro Burger, served with American cheese, crispy bacon, and pickles, is a customer favorite.

Yes, the food is important. But perhaps more important is to do and eat what you enjoy. Don't be a slave to finding the best place in the city. You might just surprise yourself!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb