Bye bug! Bye caterpillar!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
April 26th 2009
Published: April 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning, we drove from Gallup to El Morro National Monument. We were told that bull snakes may be sunning themselves on the path, which is never a good thing to tell Jeff (because he's very much not fond of snakes) or Liam (who thinks it'd be really cool to see a snake). We didn't end up seeing any, which was fine with me. We did have a nice time walking around the Inscription Loop Trail. At one point, I told the boys to watch out for the number 11 and Cole was the first to recognize it. Where'd that come from? My favorite two inscriptions were E Pen Long and R H Orton, which I think are both pictured here. Cole was very glad to have seen bugs--one that looked like similar to ones at home and another that was huge. He wanted to touch them, of course, but fortunately didn't. For the rest of the trip back to the visitor center, he kept saying "Bye, bug!"

We then drove to Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument in central New Mexico. There are three sites, all ruins of churches, convents and their surrounding pueblos. Again, we were on the lookout for snakes (although this time it was rattlesnakes). We found a really cute lizard at Gran Quivira as well as a caterpillar. Cole spent most of the rest of the evening occasionally saying "Bye, caterpillar." Funny, he didn't say the same to the lizard. I wonder why not?

We are currently in Silver City. After dinner in Truth or Consequences, I chose to drive Hwy 152 to Silver City. Why do I direct us on windy mountain roads with no guardrails? We drove by a humongous mine on the way there and are very curious to know what they produce. The colors were perfectly reflected on the rock, but their overlook was gated so we couldn't take a picture.

The boys are trying to quiet down now and will do a lot better once all the lights are off, so I guess I'll be done.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Salinas Pueblo Missions Nat'l MonumentSalinas Pueblo Missions Nat'l Monument
Salinas Pueblo Missions Nat'l Monument

lizard at Gran Quivira Ruins


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb