Viva Elvis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 6th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Old trucks Hackberry, AZOld trucks Hackberry, AZOld trucks Hackberry, AZ

These trucks were out behind the general store at Hackberry, AZ along Route 66.
It’s been nonstop since I last posted an entry. We had a great last day on the Route 66 Fun Run. The drive from Kingman to Topock was awesome. Reminded me of scenes from the movie Cars.

Oatman was a tourist trap town. I’m sure back in the mining days it was quite the happening spot, but now it caters strictly to the tourists driving Route 66 - complete with gunfights in the streets and wild burros (they really are wild, but I suspect are partially tame given places sell carrots for the tourists to feed them). Just realized I didn’t process any images of the classic cars with the burros wandering the street. I’ll try and do that later and share an image another day.

When we finished the run, we drove down to Lake Havasu City to spend the night and see the London Bridge. Robert P. McCulloch, Sr. founded the town and in 1968 decided to purchase London Bridge which was in disrepair and if my history is correct was about to be torn down. It was purchased on April 18, 1968 for $2,460,000. It took 3 years and another $4,500,000 to transport and rebuild the
Hackberry General StoreHackberry General StoreHackberry General Store

This is the Hackberry General Store. A beautifully restored Corvette sits out front during the day.
bridge. It goes over a causeway to an island in Lake Havasu.

Sometime when I have better access to the Internet I want to research the history of the children’s song London Bridge is Falling Down. I’m curious if it was written in the 60s when the bridge was crumbling or long before.
Monday we doubled back to Kingman, AZ and walked around a classic car lot/junkyard we passed on Sunday morning. Lots of interesting vehicles including an 8 door Pontiac wagon “limo” that was used in Phoenix back in the 60s. There is also an ‘airplane car’. Someone took the fuselage of a 4 seater single engine plane and put it on a modified car chassis. It is powered by a Corvair engine.

Had lunch in Boulder City, NV on the way back in to Vegas.

Tuesday I went down to the strip and watched the water show in front of the Bellagio. I had fun wandering around looking for unique photo ops. In the evening I took in Cirque de Soleil’s Viva Elvis show. It is a great production. If you are even remotely an Elvis fan be sure and check it out when you
Neon Glow RoadsterNeon Glow RoadsterNeon Glow Roadster

Since I'm in Vegas with all the neon lights I decided to post a few images where I used PS to give it a neon glow look. I haven't played with this techinque in years, but saw some photos in a shop in Boulder City from Seligman. This image was taken on Saturday morning as we were lined up to head out of Seligman on the start of the run.
are in Vegas.

Wednesday we all went downtown. Had a fabulous lunch in the Eifel Tower overlooking Las Vegas Blvd and walked up and down the Strip window shopping. Late in the afternoon we headed to the Stratosphere. Went up to the observation deck and watched the sunset and the city of Vegas ‘come alive’ with lights. It was really windy up there. They have a new thrill ‘ride’ where people ‘free fall’ from the observation tower down to the ground. Lots of crazy kids were making the ‘jump’. It was pretty wild to be sitting in the lounge and watch people go flying by the window.

This evening we are off to the old downtown area to watch the Freemont Experience.

Friday I’ll be ‘breaking camp’ and heading to Bryce Canyon. My Woodall’s camping guide indicates I will have complimentary Wi-Fi at my next stop so hopefully I’ll be able to do more frequent updates while exploring Bryce Canyon, Zion and other areas.

I’m finishing this up in the RV and about to walk down the street to Mickey D’s for a coffee and to use their Wi-Fi.

Hope you enjoy these images from
Cool Springs RoadsterCool Springs RoadsterCool Springs Roadster

This roadster was photographed at Cool Springs which was a 1926 store and camp. It was rebuilt for a movie - and basically destroyed again. Then it was restored based on old photos.
the last of the Route 66 run and Vegas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ed's CampEd's Camp
Ed's Camp

An old prospector, Ed Edgerton decided to mine the Mother Road rather than the Mother Lode. This place has long since been closed. We were a little surprised they haven't reopened it.
Crozier Creek wildflowersCrozier Creek wildflowers
Crozier Creek wildflowers

Wildflowers were abundant along Route 66. This image was taken at Crozier Creek near some tin roofed tourist cabins located along the old road bed.
heading up the mountainheading up the mountain
heading up the mountain

Some of the Route 66 switchbacks are visible from this location - Shaffer's Fish Bowl Springs, a manmade basin that collects water from a seep on the side of the mountain.
By Shaffer's Fish Bowl SpringsBy Shaffer's Fish Bowl Springs
By Shaffer's Fish Bowl Springs

32 steps go up the side of the hill for this great view looking back towards Kingman. Note the red street rod on Route 66.
Cars viewCars view
Cars view

This is one of the views that reminds me of scenes from the movie Cars. Route 66 is visible going around a curve on the left side.
Sitgreaves PassSitgreaves Pass
Sitgreaves Pass

Here several cars from the run can be seen approaching Sitgreaves Pass. These cacti were beautiful. From this pass looking west you can see three states, AZ, NV, and CA.
wildflowerwildflower
wildflower

This cactus was in bloom on top of Sitgreaves Pass.
Orange tumbleweedOrange tumbleweed
Orange tumbleweed

After Oatman there was a several mile area where this plant was proliferant. I have tried to faithfully reproduce the orange color we saw as we drove along route 66. I hope to be able to identify this plant one day. It's very cool.
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

Lake Havasu City, AZ.
BellagioBellagio
Bellagio

Water show at Bellagio in Las Vegas.
Bellagio GardensBellagio Gardens
Bellagio Gardens

The Bellagio has a conservatory in the middle of the hotel.
Bellagio flowersBellagio flowers
Bellagio flowers

This is a pan blur of the flowers at Bellagio.
Viva ElvisViva Elvis
Viva Elvis

Sign advertising Elvis show and reflection in building.
Vegas reflectionVegas reflection
Vegas reflection

At City Centre
Tiffany reflectionTiffany reflection
Tiffany reflection

If you look closely at the reflection (hopefully it can be seen with the websized image) you can see the Harley-Davidson Cafe on the strip.
Vegas at duskVegas at dusk
Vegas at dusk

From the top of the Stratosphere.
Vegas at nightVegas at night
Vegas at night

From the Stratosphere.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb