Motoring West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Kingman
May 1st 2010
Published: May 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

GMC RVsGMC RVsGMC RVs

We saw these two classic GMC motorhomes several times along the way today.
Hello from the Mother Road.

Wow what a fun day. Talk about sensory overload - imagine hundreds of classic cars and thousands of car enthusiasts at a 75 mile long car show! Lots of local people lined the roads in each of the small communities we passed through just to watch the cars pass by.

Corvettes are far and away the number one vehicle in the Fun Run. Hard to tell what might be 2nd - probably street rods or 50s Chevys. Lots of rare and unusual vehicles. I only saw 3 Miatas participating in the run. We only saw one Corvair and it was only in the Kingman car show and didn't drive from Seligman with us. Jeff did spot a Corvair powered three wheeled motorcycle along the way, but they were just cruising Route 66 and not part of the Fun Run.

We had a great lunch in Truxton at the Frontier Motel & Cafe. I heard they had fabulous homemade pies. I had a wonderful piece of chocolate cream pie.

When we arrived in Kingman, there had to be upwards of 700 cars along two major streets and the connecting side streets for several
Vettes in Peach SpringsVettes in Peach SpringsVettes in Peach Springs

The railroad tracks run close to Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman. Trains come by every few minutes. Here a train passed by a group of Corvettes stopped for lunch in Peach Springs.
blocks in a car show.

Once again, I'm going to try and let the pictures tell the story and get a little rest. Tomorrow is another fun day on Route 66. We end up on Topock, AZ where the event ends. Then we are going down to Lake Havasu City to visit London Bridge and spend the night.

This is a great event and should be on every car fanatic's "bucket list".


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Getting ready for the Fun Run to startGetting ready for the Fun Run to start
Getting ready for the Fun Run to start

This cute little puppy was in the back of a Classic Chevy pickup right before the official start of the Fun Run.
TruxtonTruxton
Truxton

This was our lunch stop. We didn't see this sign at night, but the neon has been recently repaired. Photos we saw indicate it has been restored to the days when Route 66 was the main road to LA.
Rust in PeaceRust in Peace
Rust in Peace

Everywhere you look there are old cars that have given up the ghost.
Tree in pickup bedTree in pickup bed
Tree in pickup bed

Jeff spotted this old truck just west of Truxton. We turned around to capture this great shot.
Here Comes the JudgeHere Comes the Judge
Here Comes the Judge

I first spotted this 69 GTO Judge in Truxton when we walked out of the cafe after lunch. I then saw it in the car show in Kingman. One of my dream cars.


Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb