Get your kicks on Route 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Seligman
April 30th 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wow what a fun day we've had. Dropped Chessy off at her PetHotel and headed for Boulder City, followed by a stop at Hoover Dam and on to Kingman, AZ for lunch. We decided to drive east bound on Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman - which we'll reverse with 700 or so of our new car friends tomorrow!

It has been an absolute blast. We've met a lot of nice people and seen a lot of really unique vehicles.

It's getting late some I'm going to let the pictures speak a 1000 words. Hope you enjoy some of the sites we've seen today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hoover Dam from AZ sideHoover Dam from AZ side
Hoover Dam from AZ side

Here's a view of the Hoover Dam from the AZ side. You can see the new bridge they are building across the Colorado River just below the dam. It should be open this fall.
new bridge from damnew bridge from dam
new bridge from dam

Here's a view from on top of the Hoover Dam looking downstream at the new bridge.
Lunch in KingmanLunch in Kingman
Lunch in Kingman

We had lunch at Mr. Ds today. Years ago it was a Shell station. It's located on Rt 66 across from the Arizona Rt 66 Association and Museum.
Rt 66 MuseumRt 66 Museum
Rt 66 Museum

This is an old Powerhouse station in Kingman and now the Rt 66 Association and museum. If you look closely in the parking lot you will see several classic Cadillacs.
50 Studebaker50 Studebaker
50 Studebaker

This is a 50 Studebaker (my Dad had a 57 or 58 green one) and an old Texaco sign in the Route 66 museum.
Seligman, AZSeligman, AZ
Seligman, AZ

There were some ladies here this evening as part of the Run Run festivities. As you can see a 50's era lady, a military lady and a Marilyn Monroe impersonator. Of course I don't recall Marilyn with that many tattoos.
One of a kindOne of a kind
One of a kind

This is a one of a kind 'Dwarf' car. As you can see, Jeff had to kneel down to talk to the folks. It's a miniature replica of a 1950 Mercury the guy built from the ground up fabricating all the sheet metal. Incredible!
Dwarf carDwarf car
Dwarf car

Here's what the Dwarf 50 Mercury looked like from the driver's side.
Snow CapSnow Cap
Snow Cap

If you are ever motoring west on I-40/Route 66 you MUST stop in Seligman and have a burger at the Snow Cap. It is a 2nd generation family run business and an absolute hoot. Burgers aren't bad either. Note the unusual 1972 GMC Suburban in front of the Snow Cap. It is a 3 door. Notice there isn't a rear passenger door on the driver's side, but there is on the curb/passenger side. Cool car.
Ice TeaIce Tea
Ice Tea

Toni ordered Ice Tea with dinner and this is what the guy at Snow Cap handed her!


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb