Home Stretch


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Even though we're currently taking a snooze break at a Texas rest stop, I figured since the photos are from Vegas, I'd set that as the location.
So - they say, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", but I beg to differ. After hunting through the post-holiday sales in Union Sq. San Francisco, Traci and I assembled some classy New Year's attire for our night on the town. Not just any town, but Sin City itself.
We gambled a tad, and lost $20 bucks - but we didn't go to gamble or strike it rich - we came to live it up on the evening of the biggest party of the year in the Party capital of the country!
Our adventure begins with some preliminary touring of the Strip. We were tipped off by our Hotel staff that the MGM Grand would have free parking, but they'd fill up fast and the roads were closing at 6pm. So, in the morning, we ventured in and explored. Decided on some spots to hit later in the evening, and grabbed lunch of 'wichcraft, a gourmet sandwich shop in the MGM. Delicious! But it gets better.
Then we returned to the hotel after gathering some last minute sundries, and prepared for our evening. You'll find our hip and classy new outfits in the photos below :-)
We had dinner reservations at FiAMMA Trattoria in the MGM. Some of the best gourmet italian food we've had (though nothing beats a good homestyle dinner at the Garlic back New Smyrna Beach, but I digress)
After the VIP treatment there (check out those dessert photos!) we did a little gambling in each casino as we walked up and down the Strip.
Later, we grabbed a New York style pretzel in New York New York, and watched Robbie Kineval jump the Volcano at the Mirage. INTENSE (No photos unfortunately, but I bet you could YouTube it)
Speaking of which, hopefully I'll be uploading a great video of the Fountain Show at the Bellagio. Incredible. Like fireworks only with water.
After a little more gambling, we caught the fireworks at midnight going off up and down the Strip at each casino, and then headed back to the hotel for a good night's rest before our next adventure!
And now the photos...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

New York New YorkNew York New York
New York New York

Statue of Liberty Vegas Edition
Traci's 1st pull...Traci's 1st pull...
Traci's 1st pull...

No luck, but still fun
FiAMMAFiAMMA
FiAMMA

Delicious 5 star italian!
I don't even remember the name of this...I don't even remember the name of this...
I don't even remember the name of this...

but it was DELICIOUS. White chocolate gelato, milk chocolate ganache, dark chocolate fudge inside with crispy (think tiny cocopuffs) balls. I can't describe it any better.
Gelato SamplerGelato Sampler
Gelato Sampler

From Left to right: Chocolate Caramel Swirl, Cinnamon Bun, and Egg Nog Gelato. 3 spoons - no double/cross dipping! I finished it, along with Traci's Chocolate wonder...
ParisParis
Paris

Eiffel Tower
Star WarsStar Wars
Star Wars

Does George Lucas know about this?
VolcanoVolcano
Volcano

at the Mirage
The RivieraThe Riviera
The Riviera

Bright and beautiful!
BellagioBellagio
Bellagio

Waiting for the fountain show to begin
MGM GrandMGM Grand
MGM Grand

This lion is gold, giant, and fake. Inside, they have REAL ones!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb