Hoover Dam & The Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the excitement of Las Vegas, we departed early in the morning to explore two national treasures: The Hoover Dam & The Grand Canyon. Since the Dam sits on both the Nevada and Arizona state lines, we parked on the Arizona Side so it'll be included in the entry.

First off, the Dam is Enormous. It is just solid concrete and built to last. While it's color is bland, and faded and stained, there is certainly something beautiful about the design and architecture. You can see some retro-esque styling cues amidst the concrete. You really have to see it to appreciate it fully...

But speaking of SEEING TO REALLY APPRECIATE IT, the Dam doesn't even come close to the breathtaking beauty and awe inspiring wonder of the Grand Canyon. We arrived just before sunset, and couldn't have planned it any better. The sun's fading rays gave a new sparkle and life to the canyon walls if only for a few moments. Peppered with snow and ice, the violent beauty of the landscape is like nothing else in the world. To think simply time and weather created all of it is absolutely unfathomable.
This is absolutely a place you MUST go before you die.

Now on with the show!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Arizona Hoover DamArizona Hoover Dam
Arizona Hoover Dam

The West side showed the Nevada time, 1 hour earlier.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb