Las Vegas & Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
September 26th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Las Vegas

As they say, what happens in Vegas stay's in Vegas, so cannot write anymore about it....

The Grand Canyon

As the Grand Canyon is within a day trip of Vegas, had decided to go there whilst in the area. What I didn't realise is what a long day trip it would be! Left at 5am in the morning and wouldn't be returning to 10pm that evening. I decided to go to the South Rim (rather than the slightly nearer West Rim where they have the Indian walkway), as the views were described as alot better.

On the way there stopped at Hoover Dam which built in 1935 is still one of the tallest Dam's ever built at 760ft high. It was the workmen building the Hoover Dam that went to Las Vegas and betted away their pay packets that were Vegas first customers.

The South rim is the most popular part of the Grand Canyon to visit, more for the fact that it is where the Grand Canyon villiage rather than it is where the best views are. When you arrive at the Grand canyon, the sheer size and vastness of it takes your breath away.

I was one of over 5 million people that come to see the Canyon every year and your not left dissapointed. The size of the Canyon will have you standing and viewing in awe. At more than a mile deep, and between 4 and 18 miles wide, it's an inconceivable abyss. It's an endless expanse of bewildering shapes and colours, glaring desert brightness and impenetrable shadow, or so the travel guide says.

You can see the Grand Canyon in a number of ways, flying over it in a helicopter, hiking down it on foot or by mule, or whitewater rafting on the river below. I chose to see it's marvelous views by peeking over the cliifs within walking distance of the coach.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Las Vegas - NevadaLas Vegas - Nevada
Las Vegas - Nevada

Can you believe this was on the first floor inside a building, only in Vegas......


19th October 2007

Venice?
Mate looks like you are having an awesome time. Very jealout about the canyon as this is on my list of places to go and the helicopter ride sounds the way to go but expensive I bet. They have just opened the Venician Casino here in Macau and it is run by the same sands group from LV. Mate this thing is actually bigger than the american outfit. When you come back this way I will take you over. Take care of yourself matey, Norf

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb