Las Vegas Day 1 and 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Las Vegas baby!

Well, Toni and I finally arrived in Las Vegas at around 3pm on Friday, after a bit of a delay leaving LA, but we did make it and were very happy to check into our hotel, the Bellagio!!
We hadn't eaten since 5.30 that morning, so our first priority was to check in, sort out our stuff quickly, then find somewhere to eat. So we did!

The Bellagio is great. Very opulent and gorgeous. After eating, we got slightly dressed up and went to the Fontana bar and sat out on the balcony, overlooking the Bellagio Fountains, enjoying a drink and watching the fountains come to life as it got dark. They really are great and I really enjoyed reliving moments from Oceans 11 - yes, I am a dag, but can say that I was very excited to hear the same song being played on the piano as was playing in the movie at the end when Andy Garcia walks back to his room all pissed that George has robbed him!!

After that we headed over the road to Paris hotel to check out the view from the top of the Eiffel tower. The strip views were amazing and so were the fountains from up there. I have to say, Vegas definitely looks better by night. During the harsh light of day, its really not that pretty. There is a heap of construction going on and flyers for naked women all over the ground. Fine for some, but not really my cup of tea!

Vegas is amazing though and as of Day 1, Toni and I were pretty impressed. We crashed about 10.30 after being up for about 34 hours, so we slept well!

Day 2

After sleeping in until around 10.30, we left the hotel by about midday and walked down the strip. This place sure is hot and there is no shade to speak of. We made it all the way down the strip as far as Mandalay. On the way we passed the New York, New Tork, Excalibur (our hotel from Sunday onwards), Luxor and MGM, just some of the big ones. Today was pretty much just an orientation and exploring day, as we needed to be back to the hotel by 4.30 to go on our tour of the Grand Canyon!!

The Grand Canyon.

We decided to splurge and book ourselves on a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon, which included a flight over Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, as well as a stop at the bottom of the canyon with champange and snakes, then a flight over the strip at dark to see the lights.

WOW, it Grand Canyon is amazing! The helicopter ride was just amazing and we even got to see the SkyWalk, the glass platform that hangs out over the edge of the canyon that we're booked to go to on Wednesday - a little scary, I have to say! Still, the views were amazing and the feeling of being in the grand canyon, sipping champange, was just fantastic. Back in the helicopter to fly back over the strip at dusk with all the gorgeous lights. Amazing.

While we didn't actually do a lot today, it was certainly an amazing day. So far, I'm loving vegas (although it could be a little cooler!!).
Tomorrow we check out of the wonderful Bellagio and make our way down to the Excalibur, where we'll catch up with S&D and J&J. We plan to walk down to the Excalibur with our packs, which I'm not looking forward to, but hey, I'll cope!

Stay tuned for more on Vegas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th May 2007

Hi Kate
hey there! Las Vegas is a bit gawdy, but still a bit of fun.. kinda like a disneyland for adults. Your mum sent me the link to your blog...and it sounds like you're doing a lot of walking!! ... and if i'd known you were there, i could've organised for you to see Cirque du soliel "Ka".. a friend of mine is the music director. Keep enjoying yourself.. America is a fantastic place to visit. lots of love, bern

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb