One climb over to Virginia City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
July 24th 2018
Published: July 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today we had another short ride to Virginia City. We did have one major 1800’ climb, and then it was all downhill to the RV Campsite where Jane had reserved a spot.

( Once again I have been able to set up my tent at their campsite.)

This gave us time to explore historic Virginia City.

One great thing about low mileage days is the opportunity to be a tourist.

Virginia City grew as a result of a Gold Strike in Alder Gulch in 1863, and within months the city exploded to 20,000 prospectors, business owners, prostitutes and thieves.

Everything except lawmen.

It became a lawless town, and robbery and murder became commonplace. Vigilante Justice was the way justice was done.

Finally Congress declared the region as Montana Territory, and the bill was signed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1864.

Virginia City became the Capital of Montana territory until 1875, when the Capital was moved to Helena.

In 1940s, after the gold bust was long over, and the town was rapidly becoming a ghost town. Charles and Sue Bovey started buying up the buildings and restoring Virginia City to its former glory,

Thanks to their efforts, Virginia City is now the property of the State of Montana, and is the top State owned tourist attraction in Montana.

Mixed into active restaurants, bars and the usual tourist stops are over 200 buildings left as they were in the 19th Century.

One can stroll down the boardwalks, and peek into the old blacksmith shops, haberdasherys, barber shops, apothecarys, and a general store.

I enjoyed entering the saloon through swinging doors and visualizing how it might have been in the days when the place was thriving.

We even stopped at Bob’s place for Ice Cream.

We also had a chance to ride in the Alder Gulch Summit Tour all terrain bus and ride up the old dirt road to look at the reminants of the Gold Rush.

Our guide was excellent, and as he pointed out the left behind mines, buildings and equipment, he spun a great tale about how the Gold was first discovered by Bill Fairweather and Henry Edgar as they were fleeing the Crow Indians hot on their trail. It made for a very enjoyable trip.

I have included quite a few pictures of our day.

Tomorrow we have yet another short day to Twin Bridges which I believe is a tiny spot on the road.

It should be interesting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Abandoned Gold Mining Equipment Abandoned Gold Mining Equipment
Abandoned Gold Mining Equipment

Actually was a Cement Mixer


26th July 2018

Loved this description of Virginia City
I’ve been there and it’s a great stop to enjoy!

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb