Yellowstone Adventure. Livingston to Bozeman.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Bozeman
September 18th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 13 Livingston to Bozeman

Rain overnight and a dull start to the day. By the time we had breakfast at Clarks it was spitting and not too troublesome as we followed the tracks to the railway station for a look. A bite to eat for lunch was found at an adjacent deli and off we went up a steady gradient to the Grizzly Bear Experience, where abandoned bears are cared for and allowed to roam on the compound. €6 for old age pensioners, that's me. As we came along the road we saw a cyclist on the adjacent Freeway ( read motorway) loaded down with four panniers , saddle bags and a big flag. What? Along the valley we saw several old vehicles, farm machinery and tractors abandoned, so my progress was hindered somewhat in gawking at them. There were a couple of road kill snakes, one of which was a venomous rattler and a garter snake. Bill also saw a dead Cayote at the roadside. After the bears we went on a minor road via Jacksons Creek to Bozeman which was very pleasant and we saw buzzards flying overhead and a vintage 6 cylinder petrol Oshkosh army lorry with large generator on the back and a snow blower on the front. A prime restoration project. A good descent now to the main highway into Bozeman, where I saw my first American policeman (Sheriff). Past the defunct cattle food mill and the dilapidated Auction Mart onto a cycle path and then into town to the motel. The motel is very nice with a vintage themed lobby, good rooms and pleasant staff. The Lewis and Clark is named after two men sent by President Jefferson to find the source of the Missouri River in 1806, which brought them fame. Bozeman is named after John Bozeman, who was one of the founders of the town in 1864 and founder of the Bozeman Trail.
Since it was a short distance to pedal today we arrived by 2 pm and had an early shower and visit to the Co-op next door for provisions for our rides over the next few days.
Rest day tomorrow. 460 miles done so far.

Stats. 34 miles, ave 11.5 mph. Ascent 574 m. Elev 1430. Temp 18 deg.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb