Yellowstone Adventure. Bozeman


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Bozeman
September 20th 2014
Published: September 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 15. Bozeman to Ennis
Today we stayed in Bozeman, named after John Bozeman who created the Bozeman Trail to the Gold Fields through Indian territory in the 1860's. Most of the day was spent in the Museum of the Rockies containing fossils of dinosaurs found in this region, many in the last 25 years. What interested me the most was a transport section with old vehicles and carts, buildings etc. There was also a 140 acre farm complete with farmhouse and buildings dating from the 1860's. The hour was made of squared off beams on top of each other and lime between to stop draughts and boarded up on the inside. It had a very ornate kitchen range and held many gadgets of the day such as wash boards, sewing machines and hand looms. There was a double seated outside toilet and a cellar dug into the garden for keeping food cool. In the blacksmiths shop there was an old guy telling children about life 150 years ago, where the children went to school 10 hrs per day, six days a week for five months a year. During spring, summer and autumn children of five and upwards worked on the farm, or girls in the house. Many old farm machines of the era were on show including ploughs, discs, mowing machines and hay elevators etc. In the house there was an 1897 copy of the Sears Roebuck catalogue which was the Amazon of the day. I remember this catalogue from my youth and it was a thousand pages of tools and equipment for any occupation. An absolutely incredible business, which operated a mail order service to outlying farms and homesteads. A museum well worth visiting. Bozeman is a vibrant town housing a university, thus very youthful and energetic with bicycles everywhere.
The Lewis and Clark motel was very good with good staff. However, there was no window on the room and it became rather stuffy and my neck suffered with the big pillows - everything is big in the US. To be fair we have been impressed with the hospitality shown to us.
The weather was in the mid 20's and is due to stay warm for a few days yet. Ennis tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb