Memphis to Natchez


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi
February 6th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Lisa MarieThe Lisa MarieThe Lisa Marie

We went inside and saw the man's dressing room, bar, bed etc etc.
Here are the things I've noticed about US motels. The bigger the 'WIRELESS INTERNET' signs, the less likely it is to actually work; there are any number of tiny towels for about 8 different purposes, but only ever 2 bath towels, even when you specifically ask for 3; if it isn't dusted with sugar, soaked in syrup or sprinkled with cinnamon, it has no place in a continental breakfast; and no one ever knows the pricing structure of international phone calls.
It was in such a motel that we watched the superbowl and planned our activities in Memphis for the next couple of days.
First on the list was Graceland, mostly because we figured it would be an indoor activity and it was bitterly cold again. It was quite surprising. First of all, the surrounding neighbourhood must have changed since Elvis' day because it isn't exactly salubrious. Also, the 'mansion' itself is quite modest, apart from the decor, which is, let's say, individual. Our tickets also allowed us to see Elvis' planes and various motor vehicles, which I think Nic appreciated. The only drawback is it's run like a high security facility. Our bag was searched and we were told we
Elvis' KitchenElvis' KitchenElvis' Kitchen

Where all of his peanut butter and banana fried sandwiches were made.
weren't allowed to take our videocamera inside in case we sneakily used it, so I had to run all the way back to the car so as not to delay our tour group. There was also a mandatory photograph before we could get on the bus, which they later tried to flog us! All in all though, I really enjoyed it as a museum of 70's nouveau riche living rather than a mausoleum. Nic said it was OK, but he would have preferred to see more tears and wailing at the gravesite from the die-hard fans in our group.
Memphis was the first time we really noticed that having a 3 year old in our party may influence the direction of our holiday. I've always wanted to go to Memphis, and was quite disappointed with the city itself. I guess it's because my dreams have always included sitting in smoky blues bars late into the night. They wouldn't even let CJ into Sun Studios, which is somewhere we both really wanted to go.
So, slightly miffed, we drove around for a while to think about whether we wanted to stay another night. After correcting the fact that we'd ventured into
Sun StudiosSun StudiosSun Studios

dis..a..pointed!!
Arkansas, which is not exactly the route we'd planned, we decided to stay the night somewhere just south of Memphis and decide in the morning.
After looking at some maps, we decided some more child-friendly activities were in order, so we waved goodbye to Memphis and headed for the Natchez Trace Parkway. Trampled out by buffalo about 8000 years ago, it was then used as a road by Indians, missionaries and settlers. It's now a beautiful 2-lane highway/national park from Nashville to Natchez on the Mississippi. We drove the section from Jackson to Natchez, seeing graveyards and battlefields from the Civil War era, Indian burial mounds and some lovely scenery.
Natchez turned out to be an interesting little town - the oldest settlement on the Mississippi - with some classic Southern 'Antebellum' mansions and a riverboat casino. We got an excellent deal on a New Orleans style hotel in the middle of town, so we've decided to stay for two nights and visit some of the surrounding Plantations before heading to New Orleans itself.
Thanks again for all your comments - we really appreciate hearing from you all!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th February 2007

Wow !!!!
Hey, we are the first this time with a comment. Your description of Graceland was hilarious, obviously folk are far richer these days leaving poor old Elvis somewhat underpriviledged. ha ha. Seeing all these things really are a once in a lifetime chance and you are very wise to take the opportunity while you have it. Don't get too cold. Our TV tells us that the US is having one of it's coldest spells ever. Keep the blog coming, we all enjoy reading it and seeing the photo's.
8th February 2007

Elivs has left the kitchen
The thing that struck me was how modest the kitchen in Graceland was. Perhaps that was just the fast food area!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb