Music everywhere


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
February 4th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Georgia, the land of peaches and pecans, was mostly a blur. After staying overnight and going to a fab local mexican place for dinner (thanks for the tip, Ruth & Michael), we only really made one significant stop. That was the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, in Macon. Initially we had to wander around the deserted town because we hadn't noticed the time change and arrived 1/2 hr early for opening. But once inside (and warm) it was fantastic. It covered all genres of popular music from rock & roll to gospel, and included cool things like James Brown's stage suits, a huge display of gretch guitars and an REM exhibit. Calvin enjoyed the 'music factory' where kids can make their own music.
We decided not to stop in Atlanta because the traffic looked alarming for a Saturday afternoon. But the interstate went through the centre of town, so we were able to take in the amazing architecture and spot the olympic torch.
Next stop was Chattanooga, just over the Tennessee border. It was bitterly cold by this time, but sunny. We had a walk around the riverfront area and had a quick stop at the Chattanooga Choo Choo - a train engine housed behind the station that has now become a Holiday Inn.
We stayed in a bizarre town called Kimball which seemed to exist solely for interstate travellers and people wishing to purchase fireworks.
This morning was spent travelling to Nashville and trying to work out where the Grand Ole Opry was. Turned out it was out of town, closed and in the middle of a theme-park style amalgamation of hotels, massive shopping mall, aquarium, etc. etc. The gift shop was good though!
We then made a big push to reach the outskirts of Memphis before the Super Bowl started and the country shut down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

BrrrrBrrrr
Brrrr

This is an indication of the temperature round these parts!


6th February 2007

wow
Wow - you've covered a lot of ground in a few days!! Mind you, I had to get out my atlas to actually work out just how far - i hope you don't get sore bottoms from sitting in car seats for so long!!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb