Following the Blue Blaze, Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
September 20th 2015
Published: September 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Now it's time for the ghost writer to take over. This morning, after a long drive mostly on dusty gravel roads, I delivered Andy to the end of the Superior Hiking Trail (well, that's what the sign says). The northern terminus of the trail is a one-mile walk from the closest parking area, so we hiked to it so that Andy can honestly say he's done the whole thing. The view of Canada was breathtaking. Andy took the time to add his name to the list of other hardy souls in the the soggy log book by the overlook. The sky was a clear blue, the temp was perfect, and the bugs left us alone, so I'm hoping those conditions continue for the rest of the trip. After that little warm-up, we headed back to the car, where he heaved his 40-pound pack on his back and set off. It was hard watching him go, though he was as excited as a kid and very well-prepared for this adventure. If all goes as planned, he will hike about eight miles today.

We spent the night in Grand Marais on Friday night so that Andy could easily be on the trail by noon today. Grand Marais is a little piece of heaven...when the weather is nice! Not only did we get to take in the harbor sights on a perfectly beautiful evening and have dinner at the iconic Gunflint Tavern, but Mountain Stage (http://www.mountainstage.org/Pages/default.aspx ) was in town to record a show on the campus of the North House Folk School, so we took in five bands and got to see how a radio production happens. Yes, there was an "Applause" sign, but it sure wasn't needed. The show started out with a talented young duo from North Carolina called Mandolin Orange, and it just got better from there with Canadians Serena Ryder and Ron Sexsmith, Minnesota's own John Mark Nelson, and the class act Jimmy LaFave from Austin. It was an unbelievably great night of rockin' entertainment and a good send-off for Andy.

In the short time we were in Grand Marais and on that little bit of the SHT, we met some cool people, mainly artists and hikers. Hopefully Andy's hike will bring him a good balance of solo time contemplating life's persistent questions and enjoying the trail with other hikers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb