Minnesota to Michigan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
July 6th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

MN to MI


Black skies belowBlack skies belowBlack skies below

We ran into the dark couds and rain after we arrived in Wisconsin
It was an extremely warm night for sleeping and we didn’t get much of it. Up at 4:30 am, we were on the road by 5 am and traveling to Michigan to see our friends Katy and Aubrey. Thank goodness, for truck stops open 24 hours a day providing coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Dark clouds loomed just ahead of us, as we traveled east to Duluth and then crossed Lake Superior into Superior, Wisconsin. Watching lightning bolts descend from the black skies, over the lake, was an awe inspiring experience. As we drove through Superior, we watch a fire truck responding to an incident, we were hoping wasn’t due to a lightning strike.

Rain fell for most of the 100 miles or so we traveled through Wisconsin, but when we crossed into Michigan, the skies cleared and we eventually had mostly sunny skies. Route 2 traveled mostly inland, but in the UP, (Upper Peninsula) just before we crossed the Mackinac Bridge, we followed the shore of Lake Michigan for several miles. A deer darted across the roadway in this area and Dave needed to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him.

Arriving in Boyne Falls in the late afternoon, we found or way to the lake cabin of our friends, Katy and Aubrey. It’s really nice to be able to meet up with friends, especially when you have been away from home for as long as we have. We met their son, Aubrey Jr. and had a great chicken supper with them, before we went out in one of their boats for a ride around Thumb Lake. Katy pointed out to me two rather large trees on the shore that had been downed by beavers. You could see the teeth marks and the pointed shape of the cut, as the beavers had gnawed their way through it. We had delightful conversation with these two friends before calling it a night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Thumb LakeThumb Lake
Thumb Lake

We went for a boat around this lake at night
Aubrey and KatyAubrey and Katy
Aubrey and Katy

Outside their summer cabin in northern Michigan
Beaver downed treeBeaver downed tree
Beaver downed tree

You can see where the beaver(s) chewed through this tree


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb