Gorge Falls, MI · Potawatomi Falls, MI · Great Conglomerate Falls, MI · Black River Harbor Pavilion, MI


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
May 29th 2022
Published: May 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was another rainy day. I was kind of relieved because I was able to catch up on my work. We watched a few more episodes of That ‘70s Show, Nate made lunch, and Daisy made dinner. It is nice when everyone pitches in.

Nate and Daisy are already tired of hiking and viewing waterfalls. Somehow, I talked them into viewing a few more along the Black River Forest Scenic Byway. The first fall we viewed was Gorge Falls, just a brief walk from the parking lot. This waterfall was located within a deep and narrow gorge. The overlook supplied a full view of the falls. You could feel the mist of the falls as you stand in awe of its beauty. Then we walked over to Potawatomi Falls. The overlook was much closer which allowed you to view the full waterfall from bank to bank. There was no gorge surrounding this fall, it was lined with trees. We took a half mile walk to Great Conglomerate Falls that seemed more like a mile, but in all fairness, Daisy did take us down the wrong path along with the hikers behind us. This trail had a few obstacles: down trees to climb under and over, muddy paths with tree stumps for steeping stones, and as Daisy said a fuck ton of mosquitos. This fall was split into two by a massive formation. I truly cannot get enough of viewing waterfalls they are each so unique, I love the cool breeze that comes from the fall after a long hike, and the journey to each fall.

I wanted hike to Rainbow Falls, but the family was divided. However, we did go to Black River Harbor to take in endless views of Lake Superior and once again to search for unique rocks. The Civilian Conservation Corps provided a suspension bridge in 1939 that was reconstructed in 1968, but appears to have retained its original appearance. This bridge leads you over to the sandy beach and Rainbow Falls trail.

On the way back to the campground we stopped off at Copper Peak so that Nate could view the manmade ski jump and use a flushing toilet with running water to wash our hands. Up here most trails only provide vaults (essentially a concrete port-a-potty) with no water leaving you to wash your hands with a wet wipe. This is my least favorite part of hiking to the waterfalls, followed by Daisy’s mosquitos that seem to be worse up here than Florida.

There are more falls in this area that I would like to hike to, but I know that Daisy and Nate are ready to move on. Traveling as a family is about compromise so tomorrow, we will be moving on, but don’t worry I will find more waterfalls along the way. Just not 300+ in one area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb