For the Love of Camping


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Alpena
July 31st 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.1134, -83.5568

Last night we arrived at Campers Cove in Alpena on Thunder Bay river which looks more like a lake. I chose an end site (last October) next to the fishing pond. It's a great site because it is huge and we only have someone on one side of us and it is opposite the side we hang out on.. Though, I must say that the people around us are so nice. We were clueless when we arrived.

All the hookups are on the side of the other camper next to us where a kind elderly gentleman saw us in our time of need. He hobbled over (though he had a scooter for easier mobility) and asked if we needed help. Yes Please! His name is John. John knows everyone around us. Paul calls him the Mayor. The Mayor began to re-explain everything we previously learned but forgot. We didn't have a hose for fresh water hookup. He gave us one. He showed us how to plug in the electricity. I think we could have figured that out. Then he asked about...the "other hose". The one we don't want to talk about. We can hook up to their sewer line. I prefer not to ever see any sewer line. We couldn't find "this crap hose" he was asking about. Thank God? He went in search of one for us. Gee thanks. While he was gathering the poop hose, we found ours stuffed in the long bumper on the back. Dammit. The Mayor's brother-in-law helped us hook up the CLEAR elbow cufflink to the sewer and then to the hose and then to our vehicle. Why the elbow is clear is disgusting!
So we can do two things, let the potty duties run free to the sewer or empty it every so often. He suggested not letting it run freely. Maybe because it is basically in his campsite and he'd know whenever we crapped. Nice. But we are hooked up.

We got out our equipment, chairs, bikes, etc. and settled in. We roasted hotdogs on the fire. We went for a bike ride to explore the area. The kids are in LOVE. They love this place. I don't know how many times they've thanked us and said how cool it is here. I'd call it a transient trailer park. These people really move in. Carpets, tables, cooking equipment, sheds (!), bikes, boats, fences, flags, it is crazy. The kids find it facinating. They have a store, an small arcade (remember those? They still exist in these time travel places), an indoor pool, boat rentals, bike rentals, a beach with a water trampoline and more. It is pretty cool. Still rustic with extras. Again, the kids love it.

This morning, we cooked eggs and sausage over the fire (more fun than our stove in the RV). It's been warm and overcast today but great camping weather. I went down to the beach with the boys this morning while Paul tried to help Elizabeth fish. Even with the help of our neighbors behind who watched us all morning trying to assemble the fishing rod, they could not do it either. Crap rod apparently.

The second half of the day cleared up. Between 75 and 80. We all road our bikes down to the beach. So glad we brought our bikes. Fun to ride around. Everyone has them. Paul and the kids played on the water trampoline while I sat on the beach. Not a lake gal. Never have been. I like looking at it. I can do without random squishy bottoms, potential seaweed patches where the seaweed monster hides and all other macro and micro organisms that lurk in the water. This is a pretty nice lake/River, too. Later, Paul and I took a nap while the kids wrestled and played.

I put a couple pork roasts in the crock pot early in the day with hopes of a nice smell of pulled pork coming from the RV. At the end of the day before dinner, we rented some kayaks and explored the lake...it looks like a lake...the river. We saw a river otter. Matthew complained how hard it was to paddle. Maybe I should say he "beached" the whole flippin' time. At the end, I asked if he liked it and he said, "Yes! it was fun." I couldn't tell. When we got back to the RV, there was a beautiful smell of pulled pork. Dinner was delish. Pulled pork and baked beans. Ended the night with a walk and a bonfire with Apple Hobo pies. Yummy.

POOP SHOOT! I almost forgot to say that we finally emptied the poop chute today. I had to document this in case poop shot all over Paul. It wasn't as hard as we thought though the clear elbow connector is gross. I think we all had looks of disgust while performing this duty. We looked like a bunch of amateurs I am sure.

Can you tell we had a great day? Tomorrow we unhook and head up to Munising in the UP. We have plans to go to pictured rocks. See you tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



3rd August 2016

Omg Paul looks like cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation!!!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb