Cape Cod


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
August 2nd 2008
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.3585, -71.0596

Today Fletcher and I headed off early towards Cape Cod. It was a warm sunny day and we wanted to see an area that we had often heard and read about.
Our first stop was at Plymouth, site of the Mayflower and the Pilgrims' landing. We were very suprised by how small Plymouth Rock is. They have it covered by a stone portico which is being renovated so we could only glimpse the rock through a small window. I had imagined a huge stone outcrop but this is tiny . They say it is only a third of the original size due to various souvenirs, moves etc over the years.
We then went on board the Mayflower 2, an exact replica of the original. This had been made in the 50s and sailed from Plymouth in England. It is also small. Travelling on it with 102 other people and animals would not have been fun, especially for 66 days at sea.
After a quick brunch we drove on to Cape Cod. We drove through Barnstable but there was very little to see there. We drove out right to the tip of the hook to Provincetown. This was the site where the Pilgrims first came ashore, however, unable to find a water source or decent land they sailed across the bay to Plymouth.There we ascended the Pilgrims' Monument. This tower is very tall and we were quite exhausted by the time we got to the top, however the views out over the bay were sensational. Provincetown itself was jam packed with the summer holiday crowd as there is a nice beach. The shops though were pretty tacky and we didn't find anything we wanted except some postcards to send to my little boys.
The drive down there had taken us most of the afternoon. We had stopped at the Highland Hill Lighthouse for a quick look, so it was late in the day that we started back towards Boston. We couldn't leave the island without a visit to Hyannis. This place had been made famous through the Kennedys who spent summer holidays here. This was a more sophisticated and upmarket resort with tasteful shops and great lo0king restaurants. We stopped at one, HannaH's for dinner at 7pm. My Moroccan chicken was fabulous. Then it was a 2 hour drive back to Boston. We only got lost once but we managed to make it back to the hotel unscathed.
I will try to add some photos. The computer is not wanting to upload at the moment which is a pity as Fletch has taken some great shots

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb