Boston to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 4th 2008
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

The last 2 days have ben travelling and wandering. On Saturday we spent the morning getting repacked and checking out. After lunch we drove to Salem. This is a 45 minute drive from Boston and having taught The Crucible over the last few years I was keen to see the town. This is a great place although they play the Witch connection for all they can. Many of the shops etc are very kitschy!!
However,we did visit two places I really wanted to see. One was the House of the Seven Gables, subject of Nathaniel Hawthorne's book and the other, the Memorial to the victims of the witch trials. The latter was next to the old cemetry and is a small glade with stone seats either side, each containing the name of one of the victims.
Salem became a very prosperous town due to its harbour and maritime industry so there are many beautiful old houses.
We drove back to Boston, getting very lost trying to get to the airport. The storm and pouring rain while we were searching didn't help but eventually we arived and returned the car. A nice surprise awaited us. We were upgraded to Business for our flight to London. This made the journey very comfortable. It was only a 6 and a half hour flight but we went through a 4 hour time shift. I got about 2 hours sleep but as we arrived in London at 6-30 local time we have had to stay up all day.
We spent the day mainly wandering around our usual haunts in London, Regent St, Picadilly, Soho, and Charing Cross Road. Of course, Fletcher found several books we needed to buy. We've already sent two boxes of books home and will have to send another now!! Had a great Chinese dinner in Chinatown in Soho at The PlumValley, .
We have bought tickets to tour Buckingham Palace State Rooms tomorrow morning and to see Spamalot tomorrow night. Of course, London weather was cloudy and drizzly, typical summer !!
I will add some photos to this. We might not have as easy access to the Internet from now on so our entries may be more spasmodic.
Now to bed!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb