3rd Night in Narleans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
November 3rd 2012
Published: November 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we found out what that statue was all about that was in our photos from yesterday. That was the man that saved Americans from being British - He won the battle of New Orleans - the last battle of the war of 1812 Major General Andrew Jackson (7th president)

We went on a paddle wheel voyage on the mighty Mississippi today and learned a lot of cool facts. Many of the docks on the river are still destroyed by Katrina. The river is 200 feet deep where we departed (the deepest section of the river). Third largest river in the world after the Amazon and the Nile.

Then it was into the air conditioned museum (where the statue is located) so much to learn, so many things happened here..... As we were standing at the window looking out at a jazz band an older lady came and talked to us... a local that survived Katrina and had many stories about New Orleans; why they made beans and rice on Mondays...

Tonight we went out again but not to Bourbon Street. There is a street about three blocks from us which reminds me of 4th ave in Vancouver circa 1960's or Roberts Creek. Frenchmen Street is where the locals party, good music and food, amazing atmosphere. All kinds of artists selling cool stuff. I bought a dvd from a film maker - it's all about train hoppers (not the old hobo's but young people, musicians and hippies). It sounded good and he poured five years of his life into making it. I'll tell you if its any good.

Ciao - Ian




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



4th November 2012
Frenchmen Street

I love this blog!! What a good idea. Love the picks.. Keep me coming xoxo
2nd December 2012

Battle of New Orleans
Happened after the war was officially over, but before the news reached the USA. Man - a life without telephones or the internet would be a lot slower paced...

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb