08 Group Vacation Day 10 - Heading Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Dyersville
August 31st 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

MV DAY 10


The cheese stopThe cheese stopThe cheese stop

Can't leave WI without getting some cheese.
This set of blogs is another Group Vacation. Our 2008 trip was from KC up and around Lake Superior into Canada and then a slight detour to Milwaukee for a few days for the 25th and 105th celebrations for HOG and Harley Davidson. The blogs are broken into sections, each being a day in the trip. The first blog of this trip is here 08 Group Vacation Day 1 - to Iowa

DAY 10 SUNDAY

We were all to meet at 9am to start the trip home. Willy, Mel and another HOG member were there early, but our group was running a little late. So it was 9:30 before we pulled out of the parking lot. First stop was a picture opportunity at the Troy WI Buell factory, this is for the ABC’s of Touring. After a gas stop or 2 the girls let me know that it was time for a cheese stop. It wasn’t too long before we ran across a nice cheese shop along the highway. We all bought cheese and Willy cleaned the water out of his cooler so we could keep our cheese in there. We made a variety of stops for not only ABC’s of touring but also for the Presidential Race. Leaving WI we entered into IA for the second time this trip.

The first tourist stop of the day was in Diresville IA. Our stop is the farm where the Field of Dreams was filmed. We all bought some kind of souvenier whether it be a patch or a pin and took some pictures. The field was busy as one kid was hitting balls, there were some out in the field shagging them and a line of people wanting to hit, but this kid just wasn’t quitting. After stopping at the field we decided to stop for a late lunch. Willy asked a local and we were directed to the Country Junction located at the edge of town. It had great food and used farm materials for door pulls and as fuctioning items in the diner.

We had been traveling west pretty much all day at this point we were going to travel south through IA heading straight for MO.

The route was to Riverside IA, this is the future hometown of Captain James T Kirk. The T stand for Tiberius, its sad that I know that. Anyway they have a replica Enterprise starship there. Now when I read about the replica I thought it was huge, like the size of a house. So when we entered town, I passed the little starship on the trailer because I didn’t want to get to the hotel after dark and time was a running out. So we looked for the huge replica for over 45 minutes, asking 3 citizens for directions, each with different locations for the starship, the last one though explained that it was the size of a pick up bed, not a huge replica. It had been the little float starship we had passed earlier when we entered town. ARGH! They also had a replica shuttle craft.

After a quick picture stop off we head for Washington IA for the night. Washington had 2 motels. We picked the mom and pop motel instead of the chain motel. It ended up being really nice as we sat outside in the swings after everyone had showered. It was well after dark and Jerry showed up in his PJs. Now its always an experience when Jerry or Willy are around. So Jerry is in one of those big rocking chairs and he starts rocking it by swinging his legs and weight, but not by touching the ground. So he has this chair just rocking like crazy, it was quite a sight with his legs flaying in the air like a frog trying to jump. But we all bust a gut as he goes over backward. Jerry is such a sport.

Anyway the group is ready to just get home. We are right on HWY 92 that would head straight west and my route home would add another 50 or so miles. As I want to head east a little and hit snake alley on the way home. We decide that we will just separate and they can head on home and I can go get my snake alley. It will work better for everyone, I can travel faster on my own and they can head straight home, so with all in agreement and no problems with anyone head to bed.


Here are links to all the blogs for this trip:

1. 08 Group Vacation Day 1 - to Iowa
2. 08 Group Vacation Day 2 - John Wayne, Albert the Bull and Freedom Rock
3. 08 Group Vacation Day 3 - Buddy Holly, SPAM and the Joint
4. 08 Group Vacation Day 4 - Aerostitch and Canada
5. 08 Group Vacation Day 5 - Canada and Mackinac Bridge
6. 08 Group Vacation Day 6 - Yoppers, Pasties and outa gas John
7. 08 Group Vacation Day 7 - HOG 25th are you kidding me??
8. 08 Group Vacation Day 8 - Vinnie and Cody from American Chopper
9. 08 Group Vacation Day 9 - Last day of the 105th Anniversary Party
10. 08 Group Vacation Day 10 - Heading Home
11. 08 Group Vacation Day 11 - Snake Alley, Worldest Largest Pecan




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

our Meal stopour Meal stop
our Meal stop

Country Junction I believe was the name. Good food and a really neat interior.
USS RiversideUSS Riverside
USS Riverside

Smaller than expected.
the shuttle craftthe shuttle craft
the shuttle craft

Another float.


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb