The Lolo Motorway to Pierce


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Orofino
September 27th 2021
Published: November 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Starting the Lolo MotorwayStarting the Lolo MotorwayStarting the Lolo Motorway

also known as the Nez Perce Trail, or the Nee-Me-Poo Trail, followed by the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery Expedition.
This portion of the BDR through the Nez Perce - Clearwater National Forest is well known as the most difficult, the most scenic, the most historic -- and the route most prone to fires. It follows an old Nez Perce trail through the Clearwater mountains from the valley of the Bitterroot River to their lands in what is now Western Idaho. Lewis and Clark took advantage of the trail in September 1805, two hundred and sixteen years ago. They walked the ridge in September, the same time of year as I was there, The journey through the Clearwater mountains is referred to as one of the most difficult sections of Lewis and Clark's entire journey, mainly because it was all on foot. Recently, signs have been erected along the Motorway, commemorating events from the Lewis and Clark Expedition 216 years ago with quotes from the Journals of the Corps of Discovery Expedition. While I appreciated the effort involved in designing and planting these historic markers, I was probably the only person that read them that day. They must be funded as part of the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail, well in advance of the paving of the Motorway.

The
History Panels at the StartHistory Panels at the StartHistory Panels at the Start

These panels had been installed very recently. Some were still in their virgin aluminium wrappers.
Lolo Motorway felt like it had two sections roughly equal in length -- before and after Saddle Camp. The sections were of very different levels of difficulty, . Starting from Lochsa Lodge and Route 12, the initial track climbs steeply through soft sand and rock, with many sections of jumbled rock and washouts often alongside a sharp drop. Following the ridge where the trees are sparse one could see for miles across the mountains. This was also the section that suffered the recent fires, which appeared to have been particularly bad in and around Devils Chair. The fallen trees had been cleared, but the trail was still very broken. The second half of the road was a more traditional two track winding through the forest and down off the ridge -- a lot easier to drive.

On arriving in Pierce, I was loading gas from the only place in town when two young riders showed up on KTM 790s -- the bike of choice for this road. I hadn't seen anyone all day, so this was a welcome surprise. They had driven over from Michigan to do the BDR, and today they had followed the same route as I, coming up the Motorway behind me. Nice to know that there would have been someone there had I needed it.

Days Travel: Lochsa Lodge ID to Pierce ID - 97 mi


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Indian Post OfficeThe Indian Post Office
The Indian Post Office

a sacred Nez Perce site, visited by Lewis and Clark.
Recent fires burned i  and around Devil's ChairRecent fires burned i  and around Devil's Chair
Recent fires burned i and around Devil's Chair

about half way along the Motorway
Lunch along the trail - best lunch spot ever.Lunch along the trail - best lunch spot ever.
Lunch along the trail - best lunch spot ever.

Feasted on crackers and sardines.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb