The Magruder Corridor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho
September 26th 2021
Published: October 28th 2021
Edit Blog Post

An iconic section of the Backcountry Discovery Route, this 100 mile ridge road showcases the Forest and Wilderness areas in Central Idaho. The route starts in the Nez Perce National Forest, and ends up in the Bitterroot passing through the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness area. No services along the way. Inquiries at my 7am breakfast at the Elk City gas station revealed that the Corridor was open for travel, fires out and downed trees removed. The weather was cool and clear. There had been fires in the region a few weeks ago -- now all was calm. The quality of the gravel track was much better than expected, and I made good time. There was little traffic, and most of the vehicles I crossed were ferrying horses to trail heads. The views were huge, forcing me to stop continuously to look, photograph, and avoid disaster. Two features stood out. The first was that the campground midway along the route was named Poets' Camp, along a creek of the same name. Never seen a Poets' Camp before. I wonder if poets come here to write and commune with Nature. And second, how large the burned forest areas were, showing the effect of fires over many years. Little of the forest was untouched.

The high and rocky Nez Perce pass through the Bitterroot Mountains was spectacular, and I emerged into the wide valley of the Bitterroot river in Montana at Darby. Interesting to think that this well settled and productive area East of the Bitterroots was at one point part of Idaho Territory -- redefined by Congress to become part of Montana Territory in 1864.

After an hour of paved road in Montana I turned West into Idaho over the Lolo Pass. The day finished at Lochsa Lodge a more luxurious establishment than the Burgdorf, on the banks of the Lochsa River. Interesting that this part of the country is on Mountain time, the same as Montana. Further North, Idaho switches to Pacific Coast time, same as Washington State. Each town seemed to be free to define its own time Zone.

Days Travel: Elk City ID to Lochsa Lodge ID : 222 mi


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb