Longboat Key


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
September 27th 2015
Published: September 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Anchored at Longboat Key just north of Sarasota.

Sunday on the ICW held up to its reputation, with fast boats flying all over the place, waking and threatening to swamp smaller slower boats. One inconsiderate boater came through a narrow channel at full speed and did throw a wave over our bow, into our salon and helm area and down to the galley where I was cooking breakfast. The Captain almost got saltier eggs. It will take days to dry this out. You can’t get out of the way because there is only a foot of water on either side of the channel. At times we are passing a few feet away from dwellings. Shortly after we got swamped, a sheriff went by and motioned for us to slow down in a no wake area. How ironic is that?

It was overcast all day with light rain which didn’t help dry the boat. We even had a blinding downpour as we neared land after crossing Tampa Bay. We anchored shortly after that as the skies were threatening. We found a perfectly calm and protected anchorage although it was quite crowded with what looks like abandoned sailboats. We dined on the deck and were able to sit out late into the evening as there were no bugs. The wind came up around 9 so we left everything wide open to try and dry out the rugs.

We should reach our destination of Fort Myers Shores in a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb