Tarpon Springs Enclote Key


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
September 26th 2015
Published: September 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are so done with you Gulf of Mexico.

Left Shell Island in the Crystal River in fog and a moderate chop on the water. A little lumpy but acceptable since the forecast promised an improvement as the day progressed. Sure enough, the seas settled around mid day.

We arrived at Tarpon Springs at 2 and decided to stop at Enclote Key for the night. We anchored across from a grounded sailboat, should have been a clue. It was a little more exposed than we like but we were in the lee of the land for the predicted light westerlies.

Had a nice swim and fresh water rinse since it was very hot and muggy.

We put out a stern anchor so we could turn the boat around for shade. We watched a heavy downpour across the bay in Tarpon Springs. It was still sunny where we were so several rainbows decorated the sky. Then the wind picked up out of the NorthEast, our most exposed position. White caps and white foam streaks across the water as our little boat turned into a bucking bronco. Oddly enough, no rain but thunder and lightning, the Captain clocked the wind at 20 knots. We watched all the fast partyers scurry for land. This lasted about half an hour and things calmed right back to what they were except with a slight breeze from the east. About an hour later, the wind veered to the South East and an other squall passed with a little rain and lots of thunder and lightning. When this one passed we struggled to pick up the stern anchor so our little craft could bounce at will.

After dinner we sat out watching the Lightning show and felt the many wind shifts. This did not promise to be a restful night. Sure enough the wind settled in the East and blew strong enough to make us rock and roll the whole night. Hard to choose the right anchorage with all these wind shifts with no forecast to warn.

Off at first light to enter the ICW. Should have plenty of traffic on a Sunday but it can’t be worse than our anchorage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb