Southbound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
November 2nd 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Up early and last walk to Starbucks by the beach to get coffee for the boys. The off to the airport to wave goodbye to Jon and collect the rental car.

Lost in the ghetto trying to find a gas station and eventually made it to the airport, said adios to Jon and headed to the Alamo rental desk to find the longest line ever, cruise ship just docked and every passenger off there seems to be renting a car.

Eventually got served and headed to the collection lot. Now we weren't sure of how the system worked but were told to go to bay 6 for a compact SUV vehicle, only one there, a nice white jeep, before I could even get to the vehicle a bunch of large Germans, whizzed past me and had loaded their wives and luggage before I could even say Vot the fuck are you doing!

Cue Adele style strop, found an Alamo agent who must have seen the look on my face, didn't hesitate and pointed toward a huge vehicle, clearly way more pricey than the one we had paid for, help yourself to that one folks! Within 10 seconds we had the luggage in, Alex map in hand and speeded out the garage before she could change her mind. What a beast, super luxurious and enough room for a small Cuban family to live in the trunk.

GPS loaded we headed off down highway 1 and down the Florida Keys. An amazing drive, views to die for either side, turquoise water, palm trees and exquisite houses, miles of scenery at every turn.

Three hours later we arrive at the Sugarloaf Lodge, a cute waterside motel, entered our room and saw our terrace literally had water lapping up the edge, so close to the bay. A quiet spot with a funky tiki bar on the boardwalk, our first destination after showering.

Now after the partying in Miami, I was due for an alcohol free evening....but the bar tender offered me a freshly mixed Margarita made with freshly picked Key Limes, how could I resist!

Now, living in Spain, we are used to Mosquitos, you can see the, hear them and if you're quick, you can swat them. Here in southern Florida, they have the mother of all biting insects they call them 'noseeums'...because you can barely see the little buggers. I am pretty immune to the Spanish mossie and rarely get bitten, these guys love a piece of me! Mental note to make a trip to Walgreens for industrial strength spray tomorrow!

Ate in a funky restaurant on stilt at a better price than those we were paying in Miami.

Home to sleep to the sound of water lapping by the window.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb