Home of Hemmingway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
November 3rd 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After free coffee in the tiki bar and a walk around the pretty harbour taking photos, we made the half hour journey to Key West.

The architecture was exactly as I had imagined, chocolate box pretty clapboard victorian houses, all in pristine condition with lush gardens and shady porches complete with requisite rocking chairs. You could almost imagine Ernest Hemingway scribbling away at one of his novels with his six toed cat at his feet.

Found the hotel, The Chelsea house, shame about the name! But it was exquisitely pretty and unusual for the area, parking right next door. We were way too early to check in so took ourselves off to Walgreens to stock up on shower gels and other absolute necessities such as bug spray!!

Left the car in the hotel lot and walked down to Duval street, the main street on the island, old style vacation vibe with a juice/cocktail shack on every corners, obviously a plethora of tourist shops and endless bars and restaurants with live music day and night, you could so easily lose track of time.

Walked to the pier, the southernmost tip of the continental USA, live band playing, an amazing group of 15 to 18 year olds, X Factor eat your heart out,this is talent!

Sat by the waters edge, a breezy day so clutched onto my non alcoholic cranberry cocktail and enjoyed a lunch of caribbean chicken strips with spicy dip.

Back to the hotel and our room was ready, thankfully on the ground floor (day 4 very heavy suit cases already!) with a terrace and right by the pool, oh and importantly right by the free breakfast area!

Not the biggest room we have ever stayed in by any means! But one of the cheaper ones especially as the world power boat championships were starting next day and the resort was full, prices were high.

Time to shower and head out into town, two for one mojitos as Willie T's bar, live music (again) and a choice of 30 flavours of Mojito. Managed to limit ourselves to trying three flavours each, the hungry as hell headed off to the restaurant recommended by the hotel. A tasty meal of Mahi Mahi, a local fish, otherwise known as Dolphin fish, no relation but I guess the name would put people off, have to say, it was the nicest fish I have ever eaten. Alex tried the healthy route with a salad, but that didn't really, work, it was huge, we are in the food capital of the world after all!

Washed down with a bottle of Corona, a stroll back down Duval and home to the hotel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb