Week 1; March 5th - 11th - Auburn Alabama and Pensacola Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
March 11th 2018
Published: March 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our first week in Pensacola Florida has been wonderful - with the exception of the weather!! We have had only one nice day - however, no rain - so I shouldn't complain! Temperatures have been consistently in the 60's, cloudy, and breezy.

The first day we went to the beaches and explored the Gulf Breeze Highway... probably the most beautiful you will find - white powder sand with beautiful blue waters. As you see in the pictures - there were no people braving the wind and cool temperatures. I ran out to take a picture and then ran back!!! Didn't even make it to the water... (several people in the campground said that the last several weeks were in the 80's... I was so jealous of their tans - they say April/May is the perfect time - maybe next time). Then off to Camper World and Walmart for a few supplies!! Ate at a small restaurant called the Shrimp Basket, located right next to the campground... the shrimp was fantastic!!!

We went to Fort Pickens, exploring the Gulf Island National Seashore. Saw some bald eagles protecting their nests and also some osprey nests near the ranger station. We stopped by the Campground Registration Station and got information for future trips... water/electric only, dump stations available, most sites are on asphalt slabs, roads in and around the campgrounds are narrow and rough, its a long way to the campground from any grocery store (there ain't no corner store lol), cost is $40 per night (with national pass 50% discount - only $20 per night). But, definitely a great location... The ranger indicated typically you would need to book a year in advance ... We found a fantastic place to eat a late lunch... Peg Leg Pete's - Mark said the steamed oyster's were some of the best he's had (the only other place he said was better was in Savannah)!!

We stopped by the fishing bridge to see what was biting, what bait to use, etc. - we saw people (real fishermen lol) who had a large net they would extend down to the water to pull their fish up (preventing their pole or line from breaking I guess)...We found a Bait and Tackle shop and bought some live shrimp and fiddler crabs (expensive little critters - $6.75 for a small cup) and a $2.99 crab basket (we had the rope in the RV) to make our own net!!! I had bought a new stronger rod for my Zebco 33 reel - I was happy and ready to go! (Mark decided he wanted to fish too - used a plastic zebco we had ... now that was a sight!)

With all our gear ready... off we went to the Fishing Bridge. The bridge was the same location we would go to as kids - spent many days fishing and crabbing from these type piers/fishing bridges - oh the memories and fun times we had! Our day was a beautiful day, sunny and clear.... the PERFECT day for me to catch the BIG ONE! There was a lady fishing next to us who caught a sting ray - talk about a funny sight - image Mark using that flimsy crab basket ... descending it down to the waters to scoop up a STING RAY!!! Needless to say, after many many many tries the sting ray finally fell off the hook - good thing - I was exhausted from laughing so much! I caught two fish (speckled sea trout I think)... which we gave to the lady. Did I say Mark didn't catch anything, - good thing cause the few times he got a bite the pole almost broke and he had to attempt to pull the fish up by the line (reel didn't work against the pull of the fish) lol!!

The resort office has the Blue's Brothers full size figures sitting to entertain you and one full site figure in the laundry facility room. Yesterday was laundry day... the resort has 3 washers and 4 dryers - $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. Every time was went in to check the laundry I would see this figure sitting there and think it was a man... too funny!

Todays weather is suppose to take a turn - hard thunder storms this afternoon and evening. Tomorrow very windy - expecting 20 mph ... gotta batten down the hatches for sure!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th March 2018

Pensacola week
Great that you could return to our old stomping grounds to fish lots of memories and fun times
12th March 2018

Love it!
Enjoying your blog and pictures but wish you were going to be with us on the cruise!

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb