Tram Ride


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Venice
March 4th 2017
Published: March 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

blog 03-04-17 Tram Ride

It was brisk last night, when I woke there were 2 covers on me. It was 55 outside and 59 inside, a one dog night.

The air was so clear and beautiful I had coffee outside and decided not to go to a flea/craft market just up the road but stay here and enjoy the park and give bot Watson and me a good walk. We went to the Nature Center where I signed up for a tram ride at 1:30 pm and took the south creek path to the picnic area, about 1 mile. I observed the flora and fauna along the way taking pictures of things of interest which will be explained with the pictures. There was an observation platform built by a boy scout for his eagle project, of course he had help. Perfect spot to observe the creek, smell the air and enjoy nature. Great job.

I looked for footprints in the mud along the way and did spot raccoon tracks but that was about it. I heard some noise on the water and discovered a lone pelican diving for fish from a floating position, he's conserving energy or just
South CreekSouth CreekSouth Creek

brackish black water. It's black from all the leaves falling in.
a very smart pelican. We got down to the play ground where Watson acquired a new member to his fan club. A girl of about 7 sat and petted him and he kissed her. How wonderful to have a dog that doesn't bite people.

We said bye and headed back to the Nature Center stopping here and there to enjoy natural Florida. We got to the observation platform and I looked around and immediately spotted a snake in the water by the bank. I got close up pictures of it to ask someone what it was and with that it slithered away.

There is a new push to burn sections of the state parks because that was the natural order of things before man starting intervening. Especially here in Oscar Scherer it is important because it is one of the last remaining areas that the Florida Scrub Jay lives. They have very specific needs for certain habitat and those areas are shrinking fast in Florida. They live in scrub oak environment with patches of sand and the scrub can't be too short or too tall. At the last count there were 12 birds remaining here in the park, 5 years ago there were 75. Too many people.

We went home and had lunch and a rest, a few phone calls because I can, then it was time to catch the tram. It is a way for old fogies to enjoy the trails of the park without walking them complete with our own ranger Alex. He started out telling us about the alligator and how it has not know diseases even living in a filthy, bacteria filled environment. Science is studying them. He talked about the snakes in the park and how the medication for blood thinner is formulated from their venom and how important they are to the ecosystem.

We rode along at a slow pace so we could see everything he was talking about then stopped in sight of the eagle nest that is here in the park and very active. There are 2 babies and big enough now that they are flapping their wings and starting to "branch". Branching is when they leave the nest just far enough to get out on a limb and flap away but hold on for dear life with their talons. Not quite ready to fly.

Further along we stopped at a gopher tortoise hole and Alex explained the tunnel system and how many other species use these same tunnels. A little further along our driver spotted a scrub jay and stopped the tram. Alex was so excited he jumped out and starting calling the bird like it was his pet. There were 2 birds that darted back and forth and finally one lighted in the top of the scrub oak and stayed put. I couldn't stand it another minute so I got out and started snapping away. Later he asked me to see if I could identify the leg band from the picture and if I could send him the picture. To be determined, it looked red to me. He said we were very privileged to have seen 2 of the 12 in the park. He thinks they are a pair that were nesting in another section last year but they couldn't be found this year so if indeed they are the pair, he will be thrilled.

When we got back to the nature center there was a couple playing guitars on their make-shift stage so I grabbed my chair and listened for while. They will be playing at tonight's campfire so I'll have to be sure to get there. They played some country, some almost blue grass but all songs that they wrote, really good music.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb